63%

Total votes: 8

ALFicionado
Asst. Admin, formerly AxelFoley
ALF Fan Since: 1988 (re-born fan 2003)

#11: On the Road Again

Post by ALFicionado »

Production #1002 - 8 Dec 86

ALF joins the Tanner family on a camping vacation, but tight quarters in the motorhome lead to hot tempers. When his complaining about the family's camping vacation gets to be too much, Willie tells ALF that if he doesn't like it, he can leave - - which he does.

Written By: Howard and Bob Bendetson
Directed By: Peter Bonerz

Guest Cast: Mickey Jones (Artie)
Sam Whipple (Sam)

Title: The title is derived from a Willie Nelson song with the same name.
R.I.P. Mike AKA ALFanatic - You'll be missed.

Visit ALFanatic - my new fansite: http://www.alfanatic.webs.com/
ALFicionado

Re: #11: On the Road Again

Post by ALFicionado »

One of the best episodes of the season, probably the whole series in fact. I love this one. There's something about vacation episodes that I really like on most shows and this is a great one. I've always wanted to have a similar vacation, driving across the country with a motorhome. Seeing ALF experience it is hilarious, I can see why he'd be bored :lol: Funniest line in the episode:

Call the newspapers! Democracy is dead! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I guess it also has a nostalgic feel for me, since it was the first new episode I'd seen of ALF for a long, long time since I had previous to my purchase of the first season in 2005 only seen the Pilot episode for the past two years. There was something so special about getting that box set, opening it up and popping the disc in to see all new ALF episodes I hadn't seen for over a decade. Ahh, good times.

Five stars from me. A classic.

Mystiness EX
Cat Wrangler
ALF Fan Since: 2006

Post by Mystiness EX »

5 stars from me too. Gosh, that episode made me laugh from start to finish. The part in the poachers' den was funny from start to finish. There were so many humourous parts in there, especially the bit when ALF pretended to be an anteater! I recommend this as a must-watch.
ALFsince86
RIP, 1974-2011
ALF Fan Since: 1986

Post by ALFsince86 »

My favorite ALF line in this episode is: "When I'm bored I eat vowels."

A nice solid episode and one where Kate seems to be more on ALF's side (which we all know was rare).

The woodsmen are hysterical and so is their conversation about and with ALF.
ALFicionado

Post by ALFicionado »

ALFsince86 wrote:A nice solid episode and one where Kate seems to be more on ALF's side (which we all know was rare).
Yeah, I especially like that as well in this episode, Kate standing up for ALF.
ALFsince86 wrote:The woodsmen are hysterical and so is their conversation about and with ALF.
The whole you can't/can kill anteaters bit where ALF tries to convince he is/isn't has me on the floor laughing! :lol:

Admin
Forum Admin
ALF Fan Since: September 1986

Post by Admin »

Just a fun fact. If you look at the production number (1002) this was actually the first episode filmed after the pilot...even though it was the 11th episode aired on television. I always find that interesting...it really makes you watch it with a different perspective.
ALF TV | The Official Unofficial ALF Fan Site!
http://www.alftv.com
ALFicionado

Post by ALFicionado »

Admin wrote:Just a fun fact. If you look at the production number (1002) this was actually the first episode filmed after the pilot...even though it was the 11th episode aired on television. I always find that interesting...it really makes you watch it with a different perspective.
I'm glad it was aired a little later. Somehow taking a vacation so shortly after ALF had crashlanded doesn't feel quite right.

Mystiness EX
Cat Wrangler
ALF Fan Since: 2006

Post by Mystiness EX »

I agree with Axel on that. Besides, it feels more as if the family has lived with ALF for a while and had grown comfortable with him.
NoProblem86
Asteroid Polisher
ALF Fan Since: 1986

Post by NoProblem86 »

One of the quintessential episodes of the series, the tone very much in the same vein as the pilot. It is obvious that it was the first episode taped after production of the series officially began. The writers clearly crammed as many punch lines, one-liners and puns into one episode as possible. ALF's character is getting developed quickly, a smart-ass that with a sharp tongue ("Not sold; I think it bites wind!" - that kind of comment would NEVER have appeared by Season 2). The ALF of this episode would be all but gone by the following season, making "On the Road Again" a real stand out episode. ALF is relentless in this one, and fires off jokes like automatic rifle shots, rivaling any Larry Gelbart-written episode of M*A*S*H.
"Before you get up for that final snack, I want you to know I'll be right back. HA!"