38%

Total votes: 8

ALFicionado
Asst. Admin, formerly AxelFoley
ALF Fan Since: 1988 (re-born fan 2003)

#4: Pennsylvania 6-5000

Post by ALFicionado »

Production #1003 - 13 Oct 86

Believing he's doing his patriotic duty and concern over nuclear weapon build-up, ALF cracks Air Force One's radio signal codes and calls the President - - which lands Willie in jail.

Written By: Donald Todd
Directed By: Peter Bonerz

Guest Cast: Vince McKewin (Stele)
Meshach Taylor (Addison)
Harry Shearer (Larry)
Richard Sanders (Hogarth)
Arthur Rosenberg (Defoe)

Title: The title refers to a song by the Glenn Miller Band.
R.I.P. Mike AKA ALFanatic - You'll be missed.

Visit ALFanatic - my new fansite: http://www.alfanatic.webs.com/
ALFsince86
RIP, 1974-2011
ALF Fan Since: 1986

Re: #4: Pennsylvania 6-5000

Post by ALFsince86 »

This episode has elements that I normally do not like in plots. I don't like it when someone intends to do something good and it turns out bad (too much stress for me). I also don't like it when an innocent person goes to jail (ditto the first reason). However, that being said, this is a very creative episode. Many times a TV series really doesn't take off until it's second or third season (sometimes longer), but this episode knows the characters well and fits everything together cleverly. My favorite line: "Just who are all these people, and why are they always on the phone?"

The resolution to the problem is great. While it may have seemed far-fetched in 1986, now we have internet hackers that aren't much older than Brian was in this episode. I gave it five stars because while it may not make my Top Ten list, I would expect to see it in any critical "Best of ALF" list or review (and certainly it shouldn't be deleted from any marathon an individual or cable station might have).
ALFicionado
Asst. Admin, formerly AxelFoley
ALF Fan Since: 1988 (re-born fan 2003)

Post by ALFicionado »

ALFsince86 wrote:Many times a TV series really doesn't take off until it's second or third season (sometimes longer), but this episode knows the characters well and fits everything together cleverly.
I so agree with this. Most shows' first seasons aren't one of the best seasons, with ALF it's the complete opposite. They hit it off the park from the get-go, making one of the best first seasons of any show out there.

This is not one of my favorite episodes of this season, but I really like it and the message it conveys. One of the episodes you need to show to those who says ALF was just a kids show. ALF was much more than that and this episode is a proof of that fact.

One of my favorite parts must be where they very amusingly illustrate that Reagan doesn't know how a phone works :lol: Love the Reagan impression as well, definitely sounded like him.

I gave this episode a 4-star rating.
R.I.P. Mike AKA ALFanatic - You'll be missed.

Visit ALFanatic - my new fansite: http://www.alfanatic.webs.com/
Mystiness EX
Cat Wrangler
ALF Fan Since: 2006

Post by Mystiness EX »

3 stars from me. While the show borders a bit on "far-fetched", I like the creativity they had and the line about Reagan being on the airplane and "how far could he go?" cracks me up everytime I think about it. Also the part where Melmac exploded because every Melmacian plugged their hair-dryers in at the same time. LOL!