75%

Total votes: 12

Admin
Forum Admin
ALF Fan Since: September 1986

#1: A.L.F. (Pilot Episode)

Post by Admin »

Production #1001 - 22 Sep 86

Willie Tanner, an amateur radio enthusiast, and his family's peaceful life in the suburbs is thrown out of whack when a bedraggled Alien Life Form (ALF) crashes into the roof of his garage and takes up residence. Their furry guest also has a sharp tongue and, in the opener, it's no easy trick to keep him out of sight of the neighbors, the Alien Task Force, and away from the family cat, Lucky.

Written By: Tom Patchett
Directed By: Tom Patchett

Guest Cast: Francis X. McCarthey (Alien Task Force Officer)

Title: The title is an abbreviation of Alien Life Form.
ALF TV | The Official Unofficial ALF Fan Site!
http://www.alftv.com
ALFsince86
RIP, 1974-2011
ALF Fan Since: 1986

Re: Production #1001 - A.L.F. (Pilot Episode) - 22 Sep 86

Post by ALFsince86 »

The thing that sticks out in my mind about the pilot episode is the scene when ALF and Brian come back from the kitchen and they both have beers in their hands. I'm not sure how this made it by the censors and I wonder if today it would have been TV-14. I mean, you have a six-year-old child with a beer in his hand (granted he never takes a drink) and an alien arguing in favor of his drinking it: "We're parched." Of course, this was ALF's tough period when his appearance and voice were a little more gruff than they would eventually be.
ALFicionado
Asst. Admin, formerly AxelFoley
ALF Fan Since: 1988 (re-born fan 2003)

Re: Production #1001 - A.L.F. (Pilot Episode) - 22 Sep 86

Post by ALFicionado »

To this day, this is my all-time favorite episode of ALF. Perhaps ALF's Special Christmas is tied with this episode, but it's definitely in the number 1 spot. Perhaps it's the nostalgic in me, since it was the pilot episode that I found on an old VHS tape years ago that made me fall in love with ALF all over again. That may have something to do with it, for two years all I could watch of ALF was that episode. God knows how many times I watched it and forced my family and friends to watch it too. Everyone ended up enjoying it though, no matter what age they were in. It really is a strong first episode, it could be the best pilot episode I've ever seen of any series.

I think it has some of the most memorable lines of the whole series, I could quote it all day long and I still quote it with one of my friends.

Yo Lucky, man man!
Nothing... Just screaming.
No problem! (where the phrase started)
Boy, you're blind as a bat, aren't you?
Haaa! I kill me!

The list just goes on and on. Such a classc episode, I love it. The one that started it all for people back in 1986 and for me (again) in 2003.
R.I.P. Mike AKA ALFanatic - You'll be missed.

Visit ALFanatic - my new fansite: http://www.alfanatic.webs.com/
Mystiness EX
Cat Wrangler
ALF Fan Since: 2006

Re: #1: A.L.F. (Pilot Episode)

Post by Mystiness EX »

I wouldn't say this episode's my favourite, but it does make a strong first ep that set the scene and mood for what the entire show would be like, with ALF making intelligent wisecracks and the family trying to hide him from hostile humans. Pretty good for a first episode indeed.
NoProblem86
Asteroid Polisher

Post by NoProblem86 »

Defintely one of the best. This was what Paul Fusco had envisioned with ALF: brash, sarcastic, obnixous, and funny as hell. Since the creators usually pull out all the stops with a pilot in order to get it sold, it is not surprising that this one has a lot of what made ALF ALF.

I missed the original airing of this episode and did not see it until 1990 syndication. Hopefully, I will get a multi-region player soon and buy the German DVDs to see the pilot in all its unedited, raw glory.
"Before you get up for that final snack, I want you to know I'll be right back. HA!"
Alf for lif
Cat Wrangler
ALF Fan Since: 1992

Post by Alf for lif »

ALF discovers humans, and how they live. Kate and Wilie is hard to get used to but they all protect the Hochomnec family (curious), as well as the FBI and the U.S. Army. By Bryan and cons Line adore this little ALF even if it is nonsense. Like trying to eat the cat, but it will never
robodog
Cat Wrangler

Post by robodog »

What can I say? This is the episode that started it all for me. As I parked my nine year old tail in front of the TV to watch this new show about a funny alien living with an earth Family, I had no idea how big a part of my life the thing I was about to see would become. It's the episode that introduced me to one of my childhood heroes. The episode that made me a fan. It is by far my favorite episode and the episode I quote most frequently.
Meddle not in the affairs of animatronic beasts for you are crunchy and make an excellent fuel source
elw82078
Apprentice Lint Brush
ALF Fan Since: 1987

Post by elw82078 »

Well once I started watching this episode. but at the time I was way young but all I knew was that I myself fell in love with the show. It sure was like he if my friend as I recall myself when I had that 4 inch talking doll all I ever did was gave the older alfer a big hug. I love this episode too but also loved all of the seasons! I was sad that after this episode was over and had to wait till the next week for a new episode always put a big huge smile on my face!
My name is Eric Wilson
shreddinghead
Cat Wrangler
ALF Fan Since: 1993

Post by shreddinghead »

Alf: 'He's quick, i'll give'm that.'. :lol: Great episode, a definite 5 star one at that! It just give you big smile and warm cozy feeling inside watching the pilot. :D
ALFreak
Phlegm Dealer
ALF Fan Since: ALF landed on earth

Post by ALFreak »

Since I am a self-proclamed ALF maniac, I've decided to review each and every episode of the series, using a 1-10 scale, with 7 being average (That's a common practice for */10 users, fyi). I'm not sure how long it'll take, but I know that it's bound to be fun! :D

Now, I am going to review the original, unaired Pilot, as I feel that was the much superior version, despite the fact that there are very few differences between the aired version and the original.

This pilot was excellent; It introduced us to each and every main character, had a very good story, and even threw n a couple great jokes. I enjoyed seeing the Tanner's life pre-ALF alot, as it shows how his arrival really helped liven things up for them as a collective. I enjoyed how they got most of the Family's introductions done here, so that they didn't have to drag it through the entire episode. The scene where ALF crash-lands was great, as well; The effects were awesome, and the pacing made the entire scene both tense and exciting. From this scene on, the jokes come rolling in at a nicely nonstop pace; another testament to the idea that ALF saved the family from utter boredom. Admittedly, I liked how rough ALF acts in the episode; it shows that he is an adult, despite his miniature stature and childish mindset. He reminded me a bit of the 'Charming, but Harsh Uncle' character stereotype a lot in this episode; A stereotype I quite like really; But I'm glad they made him more friendly in the end, as he became much more likeable, and with that, relatable. Willie near;ly stole the show in this one, though, especially because of, "WREEEEEEENCH!" :lol:. The episode's ending was surprisingly kind and good-hearted for a pilot, which is why this stands as one of the best pilots I've ever seen.
This episode stands as one of my very favorites for two reasons; It featured everything that makes ALF great, and it Caused the series to be green-lighted (Obviously... :roll:). I'll give this one a solid 10/10 - Excellent! :D
Oh Yeah? Well, You're a Wienier!
shreddinghead
Cat Wrangler
ALF Fan Since: 1993

Post by shreddinghead »

Good review alfreak.