Back Forward Stop Play

Active Topics

Could ALF return to NBC?

If your ALF-related post does not fit into any of the other forums, or you do not know where to put it, this is the place!

Moderator: Administration Team

vampirevsrobot
Asteroid Polisher
ALF Fan Since: 1986

Could ALF return to NBC?

Post by vampirevsrobot »

Possible...according to NBC chief Bob Greenblatt.

http://deadline.com/2015/08/nbc-live-dr ... 201498942/
Ninjadragon5
Senior Orbit Guard
ALF Fan Since: 2002

Re: Could ALF return to NBC?

Post by Ninjadragon5 »

interesting read, but doing an ALF reboot is very sketchy thing especially the way networks run now at days, shows seem to get cancelled at the drop of the hat even with mediocre ratings, plus NBC isn't doing very good these days with more viewed show being on ABC and CBS. now that we live in world most everyone as 800+ channels to choose from and more sitcoms then ever and plus with what's on the internet, we have so many more choices to watch things while opposed to the 80s when we didn't have much choices and often stuck with whatever was on TV. so a sitcom like ALF might not appeal to the younger audience as much as it does the older generation. i mean the last time we saw ALF on a tv show was ALF's hit talk show and it didn't do very good and that was over 10 years ago, so yeah that worries me. not saying this is a bad idea, but it good to be realistic too.
let's face it, I'm unforgettable!
vampirevsrobot
Asteroid Polisher

Post by vampirevsrobot »

Last edited by vampirevsrobot on Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
vampirevsrobot
Asteroid Polisher

Post by vampirevsrobot »

Ninjadragon5 wrote:interesting read, but doing an ALF reboot is very sketchy thing especially the way networks run now at days, shows seem to get cancelled at the drop of the hat even with mediocre ratings, plus NBC isn't doing very good these days with more viewed show being on ABC and CBS. now that we live in world most everyone as 800+ channels to choose from and more sitcoms then ever and plus with what's on the internet, we have so many more choices to watch things while opposed to the 80s when we didn't have much choices and often stuck with whatever was on TV. so a sitcom like ALF might not appeal to the younger audience as much as it does the older generation. i mean the last time we saw ALF on a tv show was ALF's hit talk show and it didn't do very good and that was over 10 years ago, so yeah that worries me. not saying this is a bad idea, but it good to be realistic too.
I disagree.

I don't see "ALF" as some sorta past icon, a wasted relic pop-culture figure from decades ago.

The puppet never ages.

If the writers are there...let them have fun and have at it with already...

For goodness sakes, they've been waiting for decades already!

And so have we!
Ninjadragon5
Senior Orbit Guard

Post by Ninjadragon5 »

sorry I didn't mean for what i said to be disrespectful, like i said it's not a bad idea and I wish for a reboot as any other ALF fan, but really is ALF is iconic as like say the muppets? any die hard ALF fan would probably say yes, but for the rest of the mass public it's hard to say. if there ever was a reboot, i hope they get bigger budget so they can get better actors, better prop work and better writers.
cooper243
Apprentice Lint Brush
ALF Fan Since: NBC Preview Show 1986

Post by cooper243 »

My two cents.

I would act like Project Alf never happened. Maybe have cameos in the first few episodes of the orignal crew, if they are willing to do it, and then ALF could live with Eric because we never did see what he would look like past a baby. They either have to make it family friendly or not family friendly, do not try to blend it. Do not make the show an hour.

For some reason, I see this doing better on ABC Family.

Coop
ALFicionado
Asst. Admin, formerly AxelFoley
ALF Fan Since: 1988 (re-born fan 2003)

Post by ALFicionado »

Well, this is very surprising news. Is he even aware there's an ALF movie in the works?
Ninjadragon5 wrote:sorry I didn't mean for what i said to be disrespectful, like i said it's not a bad idea and I wish for a reboot as any other ALF fan, but really is ALF is iconic as like say the muppets? any die hard ALF fan would probably say yes, but for the rest of the mass public it's hard to say. if there ever was a reboot, i hope they get bigger budget so they can get better actors, better prop work and better writers.
I don't think any ALF fans would say he is as iconic as The Muppets, but he doesn't have to be to get a reboot. There's an appeal to ALF now just like there was nearly 30 years ago. Kids will be kids.

Your reboot comment, do you mean you hope they get better actors, prop work and better writers than the original show we know and love had?
R.I.P. Mike AKA ALFanatic - You'll be missed.

Visit ALFanatic - my new fansite: http://www.alfanatic.webs.com/
Ninjadragon5
Senior Orbit Guard

Post by Ninjadragon5 »

mmm...yeah, i suppose you are right, even through ALF was very similar the the muppets, the show is still it's own thing that made it unique and as long as it the show still has it's die hard fans out there, it still has a chance for reboot.

in hindsight, yes, while the show was good for it's time, some of that stuff would never fly in today's TV. as for the actors, let's face it, they're not coming back. most of the actors on the show are old and retired now and want nothing to do with acting. so best to bring in a fresh cast who have had a lot experience with acting. as for the prop work, while it was good in some aspects, it felt kind of cheap in others and it mostly because of budget, that i feel if they had a bigger budget they would have better props. as for the writers, while ALF does is fare share of good episodes, it also has it fare share of bad episodes that ever I dislike and i think that it really comes down to the writers. if ALF got good writers that had experience in writing for sitcoms a lot more, the episodes could be a lot better, i mean did you ever notice that the best episode of ALF had writers that done other sitcoms and later on went to work on some the best series on TV? so i think it is best to reboot ALF with a clean slate, that way everything could be done right and better then what it was. but that doesn't mean we can't still hold the orginal TV show in our hearts for what it was at the time.
ALFicionado

Post by ALFicionado »

Ninjadragon5 wrote:mmm...yeah, i suppose you are right, even through ALF was very similar the the muppets, the show is still it's own thing that made it unique and as long as it the show still has it's die hard fans out there, it still has a chance for reboot.

in hindsight, yes, while the show was good for it's time, some of that stuff would never fly in today's TV. as for the actors, let's face it, they're not coming back. most of the actors on the show are old and retired now and want nothing to do with acting. so best to bring in a fresh cast who have had a lot experience with acting. as for the prop work, while it was good in some aspects, it felt kind of cheap in others and it mostly because of budget, that i feel if they had a bigger budget they would have better props. as for the writers, while ALF does is fare share of good episodes, it also has it fare share of bad episodes that ever I dislike and i think that it really comes down to the writers. if ALF got good writers that had experience in writing for sitcoms a lot more, the episodes could be a lot better, i mean did you ever notice that the best episode of ALF had writers that done other sitcoms and later on went to work on some the best series on TV? so i think it is best to reboot ALF with a clean slate, that way everything could be done right and better then what it was. but that doesn't mean we can't still hold the orginal TV show in our hearts for what it was at the time.
Oh, I know the cast won't be coming back, I was thinking more about your comment about "better actors", as if the cast of ALF weren't good enough, which I would have to disagree with, they were great IMO. I never felt the show looked cheap, it looked just like other sitcoms did back then, maybe you're thinking of "old"?

I think all ALF episodes have something good in them, some are better than others but there aren't any episodes I skip when going through the show because I feel they are bad.

Ninjadragon5
Senior Orbit Guard

Post by Ninjadragon5 »

while each actor are their own episodes where their acting shines though, they almost have their far share of goof ups or scenes that could acted out better, of course these are things you would not see off the bat if your not trained to see that. while all the actors were good in it, the one i thought was lacking was brian, he does have that much of a stand out personality, the series really does not focus on him too much and i can't think of a episode where it's just ALF and brian having a good relationship with each other. while his acting was good, it was just kind of generic, and felt he was just kind of there of the sake of the average family stereotype. I felt there was a lot of potential wasted with the actor who played brian.
ALFicionado

Post by ALFicionado »

But that's the character you have a beef with, then, and those who wrote the episodes, not the actor himself.

What training do you have that makes it possible to see those goofs that those without the training can't spot? Are you an actor/student of acting? Maybe I misunderstood you, I find it fairly easy to see when someone is not doing a scene well or are just poor actors.

Melmac98
Cat Wrangler
ALF Fan Since: Jan or Feb 2013

Post by Melmac98 »

vampirevsrobot wrote:
Ninjadragon5 wrote:interesting read, but doing an ALF reboot is very sketchy thing especially the way networks run now at days, shows seem to get cancelled at the drop of the hat even with mediocre ratings, plus NBC isn't doing very good these days with more viewed show being on ABC and CBS. now that we live in world most everyone as 800+ channels to choose from and more sitcoms then ever and plus with what's on the internet, we have so many more choices to watch things while opposed to the 80s when we didn't have much choices and often stuck with whatever was on TV. so a sitcom like ALF might not appeal to the younger audience as much as it does the older generation. i mean the last time we saw ALF on a tv show was ALF's hit talk show and it didn't do very good and that was over 10 years ago, so yeah that worries me. not saying this is a bad idea, but it good to be realistic too.
I disagree.

I don't see "ALF" as some sorta past icon, a wasted relic pop-culture figure from decades ago.

The puppet never ages.

If the writers are there...let them have fun and have at it with already...

For goodness sakes, they've been waiting for decades already!

And so have we!
I agree with this guy. I'm 17 and I'd really like an ALF reboot. I also agree with Ninjadragon, though. It may be a hit (like the recent Muppets reboot) or a flop (like John Mulaney's attempt at a Seinfeld 'reboot', if that's how you want to put it). I do agree that lots of great shows are being arbitrarily cancelled these days, even if they aren't doing all that badly.
"Traditions are like plates; they're made to be broken"

Land Before Time forum: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php
Balto forum: http://baltofanclub.proboards.com/