Back Forward Stop Play

Active Topics

American Dad RIPS OFF ALF Plot!

If your ALF-related post does not fit into any of the other forums, or you do not know where to put it, this is the place!

Moderator: Administration Team

Ninjadragon5
Senior Orbit Guard
ALF Fan Since: 2002

Re: American Dad RIPS OFF ALF Plot!

Post by Ninjadragon5 »

ALFicionado wrote:Definitely agree on ALF's influence on Roger, I write about it at the end of this page of my fansite: http://alfanatic.webs.com/ALFonOtherShows.htm

Gotta say I love Seth's humor and am a big fan of Family Guy and American Dad. I think a guy as creative as Seth can focus on more than one show at a time. If he didn't care he wouldn't be planning to end Family Guy before it turns into the mess The Simpsons has become over a decade ago.
I don't know, family guy is kind of of a mess now, but it does have it's good moments though. he did end the show a while back, but he brought it back because the demand of a come back was so high. if he did decide to end the show soon, it would probably be perfect timing because I feel that as run it's course. like the simspons, I feel that show as well run past it's course too, but I heard the creator who only end the show when meg finally leaves homer for good.
if I really loved the characters I created I could never focus on so many shows and characters at one time, but that is just me.
let's face it, I'm unforgettable!
animesuperfan25
Apprentice Lint Brush
ALF Fan Since: Forever

Post by animesuperfan25 »

ALFreak wrote:I don't watch American Dad (or Family Guy, for that matter),but I'm sure they aren't trying to specifically rip off ALF. The thing is, the storyline that you claim they stole is has a fairly common premise that is used quite often in comedy shows; the rascal has to reform himself to prove to his friends that he is worthy. This means that it's likely much more of a coincidence than a rip-off.
However, if they had made an episode about the Rodger alien falling in love with a blind woman, that would be ripping off, because that's not a plot that is commonly used.

Well I do admit that is a common storyline, and I'm big enough to admit that I'm probably wrong. Maybe the problem is I literally watched the two episodes back-to-back, purely by chance. It's funny though, because admitting that, my entire reason to stop watching anything Seth MacFarlane created is starting to look a little silly, but I have watched a few episodes of 'American Dad' recently, and they weren't funny in the least.

I don't know anymore. You guys are making a lot of sense though.
ALFicionado
Asst. Admin, formerly AxelFoley
ALF Fan Since: 1988 (re-born fan 2003)

Post by ALFicionado »

Ninjadragon5 wrote:I don't know, family guy is kind of of a mess now, but it does have it's good moments though. he did end the show a while back, but he brought it back because the demand of a come back was so high. if he did decide to end the show soon, it would probably be perfect timing because I feel that as run it's course. like the simspons, I feel that show as well run past it's course too, but I heard the creator who only end the show when meg finally leaves homer for good.
if I really loved the characters I created I could never focus on so many shows and characters at one time, but that is just me.
Actually, Seth never ended Family Guy on his own, it got cancelled twice by FOX but was brought back when the show got immensely popular on reruns and through DVD sales.
R.I.P. Mike AKA ALFanatic - You'll be missed.

Visit ALFanatic - my new fansite: http://www.alfanatic.webs.com/
Ninjadragon5
Senior Orbit Guard
ALF Fan Since: 2002

Post by Ninjadragon5 »

oh okay, I see,I don't know the whole story, I just know it was off for a while then it came back.
let's face it, I'm unforgettable!
Melmac98
Cat Wrangler
ALF Fan Since: Jan or Feb 2013

Post by Melmac98 »

I am a big fan of Family Guy, as well as American Dad, and I love most of those other animated sitcoms, except South Park (I hate that show in every cell of my being)
I'd say there is definite ALF influence in American Dad, but not that it's a ripoff, except the episode titled 'Office Spaceman' where they start a branch of the CIA called the Alien Task Force. That's a blatant ripoff.
"Traditions are like plates; they're made to be broken"

Land Before Time forum: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php
Balto forum: http://baltofanclub.proboards.com/
Suburban_Sensei
Cat Wrangler
ALF Fan Since: 1991

Post by Suburban_Sensei »

If there is one thing I know about Seth McFarlene, it is that he is a total hack. Back in the day Family Guy was funny...for awhile. But when you see the same formula for every episode without even a hint of the creators trying to change it up, you start to think...wow, they are lazy. The shows like American Dad and The Cleveland Show came out, which were basically carbon copies of the former, only with different families. So, does it surprise me that Seth "ripped off" ALF? Not in the least, since he pretty much ripped off himself with his later shows.