Back Forward Stop Play

Active Topics

How I Discovered ALF

If your ALF-related post does not fit into any of the other forums, or you do not know where to put it, this is the place!

Moderator: Administration Team

ALF'sgirl
Apprentice Lint Brush
ALF Fan Since: June 24 2013

How I Discovered ALF

Post by ALF'sgirl »

In the autumn of 2012, I was on the Hub channel, and was waiting for "Happy Days" to return from a commercial break. And as I waited, an advertisement for ALF came on; now, I had no idea what he was supposed to be, until the narrator said he was an alien. At first I thought "Would anyone really watch this?" I didn't think the show was stupid, it just looked a little odd. But as soon as "Happy Days" returned, I forgot all about it; But little did I know I would become a fan of the little melmacian the following summer. It was pretty early in the morning, sometime in late June this year. I was watching the latest episode of a question and answer series I like, called "Youtubers React" where Internet celebrities are shown footage of what's trending, while their reactions are recorded. The latest episode, was talking about the cast of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air having a reunion. And soon after showing them the footage, the hosts asked them, "What other classic tv show cast would you want to reunite?" Some said "Power Rangers" while others said "TMNT" and "Legends of the Hidden Temple" And out of about seventeen people, only ONE screamed "ALF!! ALF PLEASE!!" From there, I remembered the commercial, and began to research the show. And at about 3:45 in the morning, I was an ALF fan.
"You got a cat?"
Ninjadragon5
Senior Orbit Guard
ALF Fan Since: 2002

Re: How I Discovered ALF

Post by Ninjadragon5 »

interesting story. the story how I discovered Alf goes back a little further then that, I was 5 or 6 at the time, my dad made me watch the Alf movie Project ALF on TV. at the time I had no idea who Alf was, so I found the movie very odd, but as I watched the movie more I liked the odd furry alien more and more. then my mom explained to me it was based off a TV series, but at the time the episodes were not being re-aired. it was not until many years later that I finally managed to catch the episodes being re-aired on TV and as I watched the episodes I quickly got hooked on Alf. so there is my story on how I discovered Alf.
let's face it, I'm unforgettable!
ALF'sgirl
Apprentice Lint Brush

Post by ALF'sgirl »

Thank you so much for the feedback! I truly appreciate someone taking the time to review my posts :)
"You got a cat?"
robodog
Cat Wrangler
ALF Fan Since: 1986

Post by robodog »

Great origin stories! Mine was fairly simple. Considering the kind of creature nut I was as a kid it was inevitable that a weekly tv series about a fuzzy, sarcastic, lovable alien would draw me to it like flies on freshly laid horse poop. I was there for the first airing of the first episode and I've been a fan ever since. I generally loathe the 80's as a decade but Alf is one of the few good things the decade had going for it in my eyes.
Meddle not in the affairs of animatronic beasts for you are crunchy and make an excellent fuel source
ALF'sgirl
Apprentice Lint Brush

Post by ALF'sgirl »

I know what you mean. I, for one, personally think that ALF was probably one out of the very few topics I'm interested in when it comes to the 80s. However, I didn't grow up in that era, so, I may just have to do more research revolving entertainment back then.
"You got a cat?"
Melmac98
Cat Wrangler
ALF Fan Since: Jan or Feb 2013

Post by Melmac98 »

I discovered it in a similar way. I forget what I was watching on Hub, but I saw a commercial for ALF and got hooked just from the commercial. I eventually tuned in while they were running 'Try To Remember', my favorite episode to this day. I think that was in February or March. I then found it on Hulu and by July, I had watched the whole series.
Last edited by Melmac98 on Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Traditions are like plates; they're made to be broken"

Land Before Time forum: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php
Balto forum: http://baltofanclub.proboards.com/
Ninjadragon5
Senior Orbit Guard
ALF Fan Since: 2002

Post by Ninjadragon5 »

you can find the ALF movie on youtube.
let's face it, I'm unforgettable!
shreddinghead
Cat Wrangler
ALF Fan Since: 1993

Post by shreddinghead »

Ninjadragon you sly dog. :P Been there done that not always my dvd will work. :cry: