Back Forward Stop Play

Active Topics

ALF--The "Star Wars" Interview

If you are creating an ALF story feel free to post it here for other fans to read and comment. Fan art belongs here as well. Only constructive criticism is allowed is allowed in this forum.

Moderator: Administration Team

ALFsince86
RIP, 1974-2011
ALF Fan Since: 1986

ALF--The "Star Wars" Interview

Post by ALFsince86 »

The "Star Wars" Saga turned 30 in May of 2007, but not everyone was celebrating: "It just brings back a lot of bad memories for me," recalls Gordon Shumway, better known to the American public as his character ALF from the NBC television series of the same name. "George Lucas really gave me the run-around."

Originally cast as Luke Skywalker, Shumway claims, Lucas decided to give him a more exotic role. "George came to me and said, 'We want someone 'normal looking' for Skywalker--NORMAL LOOKING!"

Shumway claims that one line stuck in the script that was intended to be for his role as Skywalker. "Imagine how much funnier it would have been for Carrie Fisher to say, 'aren't you a little short for a Storm Trooper?' to ME!"

Although frustrated with losing what would become the starring role of the original saga ALF quickly embraced his new role as Chewbacca the Wookiee. "I told George, no one will ever believe I'M a Wookiee, they're even shorter than I am and completely hairless," the Melmacian shrugs with disdain: "He just said, Gordo, this is a FICTIONAL Wookiee."

Shumway played the part, but was replaced by a tall human in yak fur (Peter Mayhew) when he decided to approach the character from a different angle. "He had to change a lot of the script," Gordon remembers, "originally, when I was playing Chewie, Carrie Fisher says: 'Will someone get this walking throw rug out of my way?' Ha! Haha! I always thought that was a much better line."

In the end Gordon was even banished from the cantina scene: "Now I was TOO exotic," he shakes his head.

Still, Gordon Shumway, affectionately known the world over as ALF, admits: "For years I slept with a plush Wicket the Ewok!"
Last edited by ALFsince86 on Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Admin
Forum Admin
ALF Fan Since: September 1986

Post by Admin »

I like it - thanks for sharing!!!
"Imagine how much funnier it would have been for Carrie Fisher to say, 'aren't you a little short for a Storm Trooper?' to ME!"
Definitely would've been funnier :D
ALF TV | The Official Unofficial ALF Fan Site!
http://www.alftv.com
ALFanatic
RIP 1944-2010, Former Asst. Admin

Post by ALFanatic »

Not a "Star Wars" fan, which in some ways makes your fictional ALF interview even more humorous.

Mike
ALFicionado
Asst. Admin, formerly AxelFoley
ALF Fan Since: 1988 (re-born fan 2003)

Post by ALFicionado »

Thanks for the read, pretty funny :)
R.I.P. Mike AKA ALFanatic - You'll be missed.

Visit ALFanatic - my new fansite: http://www.alfanatic.webs.com/
ALFsince86
RIP, 1974-2011
ALF Fan Since: 1986

Post by ALFsince86 »

I'm glad all of you enjoyed it.

Lucas certainly could have used ALF in the newer films. : )