Back Forward Stop Play

Active Topics

2-Part Episodes

Is there something in particular you are dying to know about? Poll your fellow members and find out!

Moderator: Administration Team

What Is Your Favorite ALF 2-Part Episode?

Try To Remember
6%
Someone To Watch Over Me
24%
ALF's Special Christmas
65%
Tonight, Tonight
No votes
Turkey In The Straw
6%

Total votes: 17

ALFan
Orbit Guard Commander
ALF Fan Since: 2008

2-Part Episodes

Post by ALFan »

What Is Your Favorite?
Mine would be ALF's Special Christmas. It was very nice to see that caring side of ALF after all the other funny episodes.
Last edited by ALFan on Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-ALFan-
Lucky-ftw
Cat Wrangler

Re: 2-Part Episodes

Post by Lucky-ftw »

I haven't seen the Christmas Special, and Try to Remember was the first episode I saw so I don't remember it all that well, so I'd have to go with Someone to Watch Over Me. I thought it was great, especially when ALF pretends to have hostages :lol: It's hilarious....they all want pizza
ALFanatic
RIP 1944-2010, Former Asst. Admin

Post by ALFanatic »

In my opinion, "ALF's Special Christmas" (2-part episode) is "absolute must see! I believe it to be a tragedy that "ALF's Special Christmas" did not win Emmy awards in several categories.

Mike
Jessica
Orbit Guard Commander

Post by Jessica »

Ahh, I must say I love both ALF's Special christmas and Try To Remember. ALfs speacial was a really sweet episode.
Lucky-ftw
Cat Wrangler

Post by Lucky-ftw »

ALFanatic wrote:In my opinion, "ALF's Special Christmas" (2-part episode) is "absolute must see! I believe it to be a tragedy that "ALF's Special Christmas" did not win Emmy awards in several categories.

Mike
Yeah so I've heard. I should have seen it a few weeks ago on 111Hits, as they are showing the episodes in order, and for some reason THEY SKIPPED IT! Went straight from Hail to the Chief to the Boy Next Door. :(
ALFicionado
Asst. Admin, formerly AxelFoley
ALF Fan Since: 1988 (re-born fan 2003)

Post by ALFicionado »

ALFanatic wrote:In my opinion, "ALF's Special Christmas" (2-part episode) is "absolute must see! I believe it to be a tragedy that "ALF's Special Christmas" did not win Emmy awards in several categories.

Mike
Seconded. I watched it on Christmas Eve with my family for the first time and they all loved it.
R.I.P. Mike AKA ALFanatic - You'll be missed.

Visit ALFanatic - my new fansite: http://www.alfanatic.webs.com/
Blinky
Junior Orbit Guard
ALF Fan Since:  

Post by Blinky »

I loved someone to watch over me. Also i just got alf files on dvd, so i will watch uncut christmas episode!!
"Don't look back. Something might be broken." ―Grandpa Satchel
ALFan
Orbit Guard Commander

Post by ALFan »

Mike
Was it even nominated?
-ALFan-
ALFan
Orbit Guard Commander

Post by ALFan »

Canadian Alf wrote:I loved someone to watch over me. Also i just got alf files on dvd, so i will watch uncut christmas episode!!
Since you have not seen ALF's Special Christmas, I edited the poll to where you can change your vote. I have a feeling you might want to...
-ALFan-
ALFIsMyIdol
Phlegm Dealer
ALF Fan Since: 1986

Post by ALFIsMyIdol »

I'm kind of torn between 'Someone to Watch Over Me' and 'Alf's Special Christmas', but the Christmas wins because it's the most touching thing I ever saw on TV.
That ain't a vision of love, it's a yoghurt commercial !
Admin
Forum Admin
ALF Fan Since: September 1986

Post by Admin »

One could argue about the definition of "two-part episode" and which of these would classify as such. That will be addressed in one of my first entries when ALF Blog is released in the next couple of weeks (wink wink)! :)
ALF TV | The Official Unofficial ALF Fan Site!
http://www.alftv.com
Joe Shumway
Phlegm Dealer
ALF Fan Since: somewhere in the nineties

Post by Joe Shumway »

definetly... ALF's Special Christmas. :)
Willie: You can't vote ALF, you're not a citizen.
ALF: I'll apply for a green card.
Willie: That's only if you want a job.
ALF: Pass.
ALFIsMyIdol
Phlegm Dealer

Post by ALFIsMyIdol »

What do you mean by that admin? These were all aired in two-parts.
Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Admin »

They aired as two parts in syndication, but not necessarily when they were originally aired. Here is what I will share right now (the rest will be included/elaborated upon in one of my first blog entries - and I think I also discussed it at some point here on the forum in an older thread).

-Try to Remember – ONE production number (1023), both “parts” aired on the same night (February 9, 1987). This is a ONE HOUR episode, not two THIRTY MINUTE episodes (except when syndicated).
-ALF’s Special Christmas – ONE production number (2040), both “parts” aired on the same night (December 14, 1987). This is also a ONE HOUR episode, not two THIRTY MINUTE episodes (except when syndicated).
-Someone to Watch Over Me – TWO DIFFERENT production numbers (2019 and 2020), aired on separate nights (February 8/15, 1988)
-Tonight, Tonight – ONE production number (3006), both “parts” aired on the same night (October 24, 1988). Same here, a one hour episode.
-Turkey in the Straw – ONE production number (3008), both “parts” aired on back to back nights (November 14/15, 1988). This one would be debatable.

In the original airings:

-Try to Remember – NO “to be continued" at end of episode
-ALF’s Christmas Special – NO “to be continued” at end of episode
-Someone to Watch Over Me – YES, to be continued (this one has two different production numbers anyways)
-Tonight, Tonight – NO “to be continued” at end of episode
-Turkey in the Straw – YES, to be continued (which would make sense because it was aired on back to back days)
ALFIsMyIdol
Phlegm Dealer

Post by ALFIsMyIdol »

Oh. I never noticed that. The thing that confused me. I have uncut episodes on VHS (I checked them all out) and yet all of these are two-parters. Still I think it's debatable. Maybe I recall wrong but I think they were aired on the same night but as two episodes. Production numbers don't mean a lot just that they were produced together (could have been split in post). It's the same thing with most TV show two-parters. For instance in Doctor Who (the older one) all episodes are in two or more parts but they all share one production number. Guess you'l elaborate in the blog post. Can't wait. :D
Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Admin »

It is possible that the uncut episodes you have are not the original airings (I have all the original first airings w/commercials, which is where I got my information from). Also, in the 1980s TV guides they also show 1-hour slots (vs. two 30-minute slots).
ALFIsMyIdol
Phlegm Dealer

Post by ALFIsMyIdol »

Well my recordings mix between the US airings and some I recorded in Serbia. So I might have gotten all the two-parters in Serbia. I always took it for granted that I recorded them in US. Still they're uncut :D so it doesn't matter where I recorded them, does it ? I have to make a re-watch soon !!!
Suburban_Sensei
Cat Wrangler
ALF Fan Since: 1991

Post by Suburban_Sensei »

Someone To Watch Over Me for sure. The Christmas Special isn't far behind, because it's got a great, heartfelt story (I love watching it the week of Christmas), but nothing beats the hilarity of ALF trapped at the Ochmoneks. Never was a fan of clip shows, I mean sure, ALF had some decent dialogue in them, but they never held my interest since I have seen every episode so many times.
ALFreak
Phlegm Dealer
ALF Fan Since: ALF landed on earth

Post by ALFreak »

I've gotta go with the holy grail of ALF episodes; Alf's Special Christmas. It truly had it all; great production values, as evidenced by the above-average lighting and camera work, memorable jokes (made better by the lack of a laugh track), and an overall perfect, heartfelt, and touching story, that as ALFanatic wrote many years ago, deserved many awards.

Honestly, I think 'Special Christmas; could've been extended into a full-out film; it had many storylines that all connected together flawlessly, the previously mentioned high production values, and great overall writing. Had it been a film, I'm sure it'd have at least been nominated for many awards, as it would've received much more recognition.
Oh Yeah? Well, You're a Wienier!
Ninjadragon5
Senior Orbit Guard
ALF Fan Since: 2002

Post by Ninjadragon5 »

yeah, I have to go with ALF's christmas special too, even though it made my really sad after I watched it, but it is probably the most well done of the episodes, the lighting and camera work is must better, it is almost filmed like a movie. it does have a strong heart touching message, even though it might come across as too sad.
let's face it, I'm unforgettable!