Back Forward Stop Play

Active Topics

Sibelius

Find a cool website while surfing the web? Post it here so we can all have a look!

Moderator: Administration Team

TheOldAlfer
Asteroid Polisher

Sibelius

Post by TheOldAlfer »

This is a program that allows you to make song sheets and play it without having a band and wasting $15k on instruments. Anyways, to my shock, Alf Clausen uses Sibelius to make the songs in The Simpsons.
http://www.sibelius.com/ is the website.
There's hair on this tuna fish, I like it!
Admin
Forum Admin
ALF Fan Since: September 1986

Post by Admin »

I am a former Sibelius user - it works quite well!

Currently, I use Finale - it's very similar to Sibelius but by a different company. Neither is better, only different...
without having a band and wasting $15k on instruments.
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you as I take very personal offense to that statement - ALL of my livelihood comes from teaching and performing music.

Wasting $15k on instruments? If people didn't waste that money I would have NO income of any kind...and would probably be living on the streets (or with my parents - HA!).

I assuming that's not what you meant though...just rattling your cage a little :)

Sibelius is like any other machine/tool, because they can take jobs away - programs like Sibelius and Finale have taken jobs away from live musicians.

Great programs though - I use them myself, but will always push for "the real thing".

Thanks for sharing!
ALF TV | The Official Unofficial ALF Fan Site!
http://www.alftv.com
ALF1986
Cat Wrangler

Post by ALF1986 »

Jeremiah,

I thought that you would be intrested to know that I play the french horn and have played the trumpet for 5 years. Both of my parents have played
instruments for like 35 years. My mom plays the cello and my dad plays the viola.

I took Electronic Music in high school and got to use Finale. It is a good program. I wanted to ask you, have you ever used the program "Reason" I used that too in that class. I found that to be much better than Finale. There were more options that you could use that I thought that Finale lacked. Of course this was back in 2003 so version that you are using now is better than it was. I have never used "Sibelius" but have seen it. I thought it looked pretty cool.

Just thought that you would like my input.

Jesse
Admin
Forum Admin
ALF Fan Since: September 1986

Post by Admin »

Great to see another musician on here, and that you come from a musical family! My wife is currently going for her Master's degree in Horn Performance...so she's a monster at the horn!

I have never used the program Reason, so I'll have to check it out. Regarding it lacking some of the features that Finale has, it is frequently said that "Finale has everything"...so it may be possible you were using "Finale Notepad", "Finale Printmusic", or one of the other variations of the program that doesn't have all of the bells and whistles that the "full" version of the program has.
ALF TV | The Official Unofficial ALF Fan Site!
http://www.alftv.com
ALF FIN SANE
Apprentice Lint Brush

Post by ALF FIN SANE »

Whoa, I thought there was a conversation about finnish national composer Jean Sibelius :).