Back Forward Stop Play

Active Topics

Some Ideas on How to Improve the Forum

If you have any questions or comments regarding this forum or website you can post them here. Questions will be responded to promptly by one of the Administrators. Any important news, such as updates and down times, will be posted here as well.

Moderator: Administration Team

ALFIsMyIdol
Phlegm Dealer
ALF Fan Since: 1986

Some Ideas on How to Improve the Forum

Post by ALFIsMyIdol »

I love this place. I have never seen so many nice people on one spot. Rarely are there arguments or insults. Still I think there should be several corrections:

1. Make the scrolling Curren Topics a little bigger. Now you can only see up to three topics at once. It should be bigger and thus easier to see the topic you'd like to post on.
2. I think it would be great if we could subscribe to topics. Like on IMDb. IE receive E-mail's when someone posts on them.

That should be it. Not a lot but I think it could make for an even better site.
That ain't a vision of love, it's a yoghurt commercial !
Admin
Forum Admin
ALF Fan Since: September 1986

Re: Some Ideas on How to Improve the Forum

Post by Admin »

Thanks for posting - I really like your idea on making the scrolling topics feature bigger. To make that change I think I'll need to edit code in at least 4-6 different files (I'll need to see what I can do on that one). Regarding the subscribing to topics, you can currently do that - right above the footer is a light blue bar that has the subscribe link.

Thanks, I'll keep you up to date on the scrolling topics. I'll see what I can do now (since I have a few free minutes).
ALF TV | The Official Unofficial ALF Fan Site!
http://www.alftv.com
Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Admin »

If you could all check out the main page and let me know what you think it would be most appreciated. I increased both the height/width. I'm hesitant to change the height any more than that (as I'm concerned it could look awkward and out of place).

I can change the scrolling topics feature from one file (and it affects every page of course), but the table size I'm going to need to change on EVERY page of the website manually (excluding forum pages of course). Just want to make sure it's a little better before I do it.
ALFIsMyIdol
Phlegm Dealer

Post by ALFIsMyIdol »

Now it's a lot better. That's the way it should be. It doesn't have to be bigger. About the subscribe button I never noticed it. I'm a little ashamed now. Been around for a year and never noticed it. Thanks for taking my suggestions into consideration.
Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Admin »

My pleasure. I appreciate you posting - it's nice when people tell me what they'd like to see on the website.
Joe Shumway
Phlegm Dealer
ALF Fan Since: somewhere in the nineties

Post by Joe Shumway »

I don't have any ideas how to improve forum :mrgreen:
I just stoped by to say how great this forum is. I mean there isn't that much forums like this, generaly speaking. First our Admin is great, he is always available, understandable, he is there for his members.Then the rest of staff and members, the atmosfer is like we're at Alf's home and hanging around.When I first came here everybody accepted me, like I was here forever, and that's something I appreciate. :)
Willie: You can't vote ALF, you're not a citizen.
ALF: I'll apply for a green card.
Willie: That's only if you want a job.
ALF: Pass.
ALFIsMyIdol
Phlegm Dealer

Post by ALFIsMyIdol »

I was just wondering why do you have to wait for some time between posting posts on the forum.
Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Admin »

That's just in case a spam bot makes it through the registration system. With how sophisticated bots are nowadays, they can make hundreds of posts before I even take notice and delete their account. This way it would only be a few should it ever happen. We only had this issue once (a few years ago), but once was enough to warrant a change in the settings.
Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Admin »

I decided today to change the settings from 60 seconds between posts, to 45 seconds. Hopefully that will work out well - I really do not see a need for someone to post more than one time in 45 seconds (if they need to, they are probably not reading the topic or thinking about what they are typing).