Back Forward Stop Play

Active Topics

How many ALF?

Post all questions and comments regarding the ALF Sitcom here.

Moderator: Administration Team

Jessica
Orbit Guard Commander

How many ALF?

Post by Jessica »

Well, I was wondering, did they use more than one ALF in the series? Sometimes, his fur is like brown, but sometimes more orange. When Michi ws in ALF he was more like brown. But I don't really get it.

Brown

Orange
Alfster
Asteroid Polisher

Re: How many ALF?

Post by Alfster »

I've somewha noticed that as well. I always just assumed it was the quality of the camera recording/video playback
Admin
Forum Admin
ALF Fan Since: September 1986

Post by Admin »

I guess I really never thought about ALF's hair color. As a television series progresses the crew is always looking for ways to improve...it is definitely possible that they "experimented" and changed ALF's hair color to improve the character. Also, as the series went on it began to be geared more towards children; orange appeals to children more than brown, so maybe that could be a reason.

All in all, I'm not sure. Should the "Ask ALF" Q&A with Paul Fusco ever start back up again this would be a great question!
ALF TV | The Official Unofficial ALF Fan Site!
http://www.alftv.com
Jessica
Orbit Guard Commander

Post by Jessica »

Oo cool. Thank you.
ALFanatic
RIP 1944-2010, Former Asst. Admin

Post by ALFanatic »

My opinion technical factors, such as changes in set lighting during original taping of episodes and/or true color reproduction of original tapes (just as with photos). are most likely reasons for appearances of changes in ALF's coloring - not different ALFs.

As for actual knowledge of different ALFs, there was the beat up, stand-in ALF (Ralph) used for lighting setup and camera placement during taping of original episodes and also the ALF costume worn for full body shots in early original episodes, in addition the the "real" ALF.

Another hypothetical possibility:
ALF in not exempt from vanity. As ALF's fame and fortune rose with the rising popularity of the original TV series, he may have secretly visited one of the discreet "stylists to the stars" from time to time for a little "coloring".

Mike
QueenofMelmac
Junior Orbit Guard

Post by QueenofMelmac »

Another hypothetical possibility:
ALF in not exempt from vanity. As ALF's fame and fortune rose with the rising popularity of the original TV series, he may have secretly visited one of the discreet "stylists to the stars" from time to time for a little "coloring".

Haha i was going to say something like that in response but u beat me to it. lol
"You are getting sleepy. You... are no longer a cat. You are a bagel. "
Jessica
Orbit Guard Commander

Post by Jessica »

Wow, thanks. I really appriceate the answers :)
melmacian56
ALF Fan Since: Forever

Post by melmacian56 »

Something I noticed in the first season is that the ALF suit Michi wears has the fur more messy then the ALF puppet or it was the other way around. I would have to watch some Season 1 episodes again to make sure but all I can remember is that you can notice a change in the fur from the puppet and the ALF suit. Did anyone else pick up on that?
"Oops, I made a boo boo".
Jessica
Orbit Guard Commander

Post by Jessica »

melmacian56 wrote:Something I noticed in the first season is that the ALF suit Michi wears has the fur more messy then the ALF puppet or it was the other way around. I would have to watch some Season 1 episodes again to make sure but all I can remember is that you can notice a change in the fur from the puppet and the ALF suit. Did anyone else pick up on that?
Yeah, in the first eps the fur was more messy, I've noticed that.
ALFicionado
Asst. Admin, formerly AxelFoley
ALF Fan Since: 1988 (re-born fan 2003)

Post by ALFicionado »

Never noticed any big changes with the furr myself, I'm with the theory Mike laid out. Different lighting etc.
R.I.P. Mike AKA ALFanatic - You'll be missed.

Visit ALFanatic - my new fansite: http://www.alfanatic.webs.com/
Jessica
Orbit Guard Commander

Post by Jessica »

Yeah, that could be a reason too.
Ol' ALFer
Asteroid Polisher

Post by Ol' ALFer »

There was bound to be more than one ALF puppet.The television/Film industry rarely uses just one prop/waldrobe.They nearly always have a standby should something happen to the prop, that they can quickly bring it in that it doesnt hold up production while the other is getting repaired or rebuilt.Also they have different versions of the same prop for different purposes, whether it be for different camera angles or different purposes.For example, the ALF suit for wide shots, and then there may have been another puppet that could move his ears for close ups, and as ALF has human arms axcess, there may of been another if he had to raise his hands, etc. Plus, He would wear out after constant use and would need replacing.
ALFanatic

Post by ALFanatic »

Ol' ALFer,

There is logic to your reasoning; however, I am unaware of any published information revelaing that there was more than one ALF puppet, in addition to the setup stand-in and the full bodied costume.

Mike
ALFicionado

Post by ALFicionado »

Good first post on the forum, Ol' ALFer, welcome to the boards!

Ol' ALFer
Asteroid Polisher

Post by Ol' ALFer »

AxelFoley wrote:Good first post on the forum, Ol' ALFer, welcome to the boards!
Thanks.And with regard to Mike's comment that there has never been any reports that there were more than one puppet used, well Companies dont seem to like to reveal that information as supposedly there can only be "one" star, but we know this is not true! I know the Muppets dont like talking about multiple versions.I would say that ALF was made out of latex, which would probably wear out after 6 months of constant use and sweat from the puppeteer's hand.
ALFanatic

Post by ALFanatic »

Yo, Ol' ALFer,

You're new around here, so I am going to overloolk it this time, but be very careful not to make any future comments associating me with that motley "Muppets" bunch. Always remember I am the one and only, legitimate, big, big, big, TV star.

Oh, and by the way, welcome to the Forum. Did you bring any money with you?

ALF
Ol' ALFer
Asteroid Polisher

Post by Ol' ALFer »

ALFanatic wrote:Yo, Ol' ALFer,

You're new around here, so I am going to overloolk it this time, but be very careful not to make any future comments associating me with that motley "Muppets" bunch. Always remember I am the one and only, legitimate, big, big, big, TV star.

ALF
Yikes, I'm outa here. :cry:
ALFicionado

Post by ALFicionado »

Ol' ALFer wrote:
ALFanatic wrote:Yo, Ol' ALFer,

ALF
Yikes, I'm outa here. :cry:
Don't worry 'ol Alfer, he's just messing with you.

ALFanatic

Post by ALFanatic »

Ol' ALFer & AxelFoley,

Hey! I just posted the message that ALF dictated, and that's the truth. Trust Me! :mrgreen:

Mike
puppet_guy
Apprentice Lint Brush
ALF Fan Since: 1980

Post by puppet_guy »

I noticed the black on his face got darker in later seasons. It could be lighting? His fur definately was better groomed after the first few episodes, and his shoulders got more stuffing.