Back Forward Stop Play

Active Topics

alf christmas special

Post all questions and comments regarding the ALF Sitcom here.

Moderator: Administration Team

melmac_alf
Phlegm Dealer

alf christmas special

Post by melmac_alf »

Ok, I just rewatched the season 2 disk, and watched the christmas special. Dang! That was SO freaking sad. The people at the end that they said special thanks or whatever they said, were those people based on the characters so to speak or did the actors really die? so sad, very out there for alf I thought.
ALFsince86
RIP, 1974-2011
ALF Fan Since: 1986

Post by ALFsince86 »

I have always assumed that the characters were based on those people.

I LOVE that episode of ALF. It's one that I would want on a deserted island, or, if I were with ALF, an island with DESSERTS! Ha!

Incidentally, I remember a newspaper article about that episode in a Washington DC paper and it said that it was the highest rated ALF episode to that date and that it won its time slot. I remember ALF's popularity hit Mickey Mouse status after that (1988 was a big year for ALF).
QueenofMelmac
Junior Orbit Guard

Post by QueenofMelmac »

that episode was way too serious. But every sitcom i guess needs a serious episode where someone dies or gets sick. Honestly i think the sitcom would have been fine without one. Thats one episode I prob wont wanna watch over again. :(
"You are getting sleepy. You... are no longer a cat. You are a bagel. "
ALFanatic
RIP 1944-2010, Former Asst. Admin

Post by ALFanatic »

QueenofMelmac,

Differences of opinion "help make the world go 'round". Personally, I believe "ALF's Christmas Special" was perhaps the best episode of the entire series and should have won Emmys in several categories.

I hope one day for "ALF's Christmas Special" to become an ongoing, annual tradition aired by one of the major networks during the Holiday Season that naturally will be hosted by ALF.

Mike
melmac_alf
Phlegm Dealer

Post by melmac_alf »

I totally agree with Queen of Melmac. It was just so out there for alf I thought. Yeah, I know most sitcoms have that serious episode but I didn't feel alf needed it. I don't think I will ever watch that episode either.
Admin
Forum Admin
ALF Fan Since: September 1986

Post by Admin »

I hope one day for "ALF's Christmas Special" to become an ongoing, annual tradition aired by one of the major networks during the Holiday Season that naturally will be hosted by ALF.
That's exactly what I'm hoping for. Should I ever re-establish contact with Paul Fusco, I'll try recommending that they try to get that episode aired around the holidays. Since they can't get the sitcom on television, this could be a possible "baby step" in getting there.

The episode is different than the rest of the sitcom episodes - but I give it three thumbs up!!!
ALF TV | The Official Unofficial ALF Fan Site!
http://www.alftv.com
ALFicionado
Asst. Admin, formerly AxelFoley
ALF Fan Since: 1988 (re-born fan 2003)

Post by ALFicionado »

It's a different episode from the others, but an important one IMO. We get t see ALF react to things he has never reacted to before. It carries a beautiful message, something that I am sure was appreciated by parents to the kids watching ALF.
R.I.P. Mike AKA ALFanatic - You'll be missed.

Visit ALFanatic - my new fansite: http://www.alfanatic.webs.com/
melmac_alf
Phlegm Dealer

Post by melmac_alf »

Sure it carries a message but it's SO depressing. Yes, it's wonderful to see alf respond to different things, but it's still depressing and sad.

Jeremiah, you used to talk to Paul Fusco? That's awesome, was he a lot like alf?
ALFicionado

Post by ALFicionado »

I don't think it's that depressing. It's sad but it makes you value life a lot more. Plus, ALF lightens up the mood.

cooper243
Apprentice Lint Brush
ALF Fan Since: NBC Preview Show 1986

Post by cooper243 »

This episode is by far the best one. Yes, it is totally unlike the rest of the series, but the writing is much better. Is it depressing? You bet! I hate Christmas, but I will watch this every year around Christmas time because to me, this is what Christmas should represent, the giving of happiness, not the presents, but that is another story.

Is the airing on the Canadian DVD the same as the Season 2 box set?

Damn good episode!
melmac_alf
Phlegm Dealer

Post by melmac_alf »

cooper243, I have to say, that's a great way of looking at it, as christmas should be. I'm glad someone else found it depressing also lol. We all know everything was different about it, but did anyone see the 'soap opera' lighting they did? Any thoughts on that?
QueenofMelmac
Junior Orbit Guard

Post by QueenofMelmac »

The soap operah lighting? haha of course. To bring in the serious, dramatic effect. lol I think it should be aired during the holidays. Alf should be aired everyday. I dont hate the episode. I think you all got the wrong idea from my response before. It was just a different side of alf..the sensitive side. And i like the wise cracking alf much more but I like sensitive too. I am a woman afterall. I think a Hanuka episode would have been funny. Alf prancing around with a yamaka. lol
ALFicionado

Post by ALFicionado »

I noticed the lightning to, it gave the episode a special feeling kind of. I liked it.

melmac_alf
Phlegm Dealer

Post by melmac_alf »

I didn't hate the episode either, just really didn't like it because it made me want to cry.
ALFanatic
RIP 1944-2010, Former Asst. Admin

Post by ALFanatic »

QueenofMelmac,

Quite possible a Hanukka episode may have been considered , but deemed to be too dangerous. Imagine ALF around all those candles on the Menora. Can you say FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike
QueenofMelmac
Junior Orbit Guard

Post by QueenofMelmac »

haha i never considered that. That would have been a funny episode though. Alf could have easily burned down the house and thats comedy right there.
cooper243
Apprentice Lint Brush
ALF Fan Since: NBC Preview Show 1986

Post by cooper243 »

I think I still have it on VHS a Saturday Night's Main Event where it has a promo of ALF becoming a priest. It is another "religious" episode, but a funny one unlike the Christmas Special. I really think the Christmas one was one of a kind and should have been treated that way airing by itself. How can we get it back on tv for Christmas? I think if we write our local stations that are true independent stations, it is a good start.
melmac_alf
Phlegm Dealer

Post by melmac_alf »

QueenofMelmac wrote:haha i never considered that. That would have been a funny episode though. Alf could have easily burned down the house and thats comedy right there.
LOL add that in and it would be great!! LOL
mongoose
Asteroid Polisher

Post by mongoose »

cooper243 wrote:I think I still have it on VHS a Saturday Night's Main Event where it has a promo of ALF becoming a priest. It is another "religious" episode, but a funny one unlike the Christmas Special. I really think the Christmas one was one of a kind and should have been treated that way airing by itself. How can we get it back on tv for Christmas? I think if we write our local stations that are true independent stations, it is a good start.
Are you referring to WWF's Saturday Night Main Event? Im not familiar with the sketch (or is it an ad?)
MR. Littwack
Cat Wrangler

Post by MR. Littwack »

It always bothers me when people gripe about a comedy show that does a serious or sad episode. To me, these are the episodes that make our favorite characters real, so that we can still relate to them when the normal (for them anyway, but outrageous to us) things happen in regular episodes.

Another thing, I don't know how everyone else was raised, but my mom always let me watch anything I was interested in seeing on TV or movies. She was always very good at explaining "that guy didn't really get shot" or whatever was appropriate for what I was watching. But so many people that I know were sheltered from things like death (i don't mean traumatic deaths, but natural ones) on TV, that many of them for some reason do not really expect to have to deal with it in real life.

Like it or not, TV has become a way for kids to learn. Personally, I never had much in the way of strong male role models, except for my heroes on TV. Most people that know me will say that I always try to be fair and do the right thing. I think much of this is due to the fact that I was influenced greatly by my TV heroes and seeing how they dealt with situations, Be it death or anything else.

I think that the Christmas special will always be one of my favorites because while there is still a lot of comedy, we see a serious side too. Should every episode have been like this? NO. But, it also gives flavor to the rest of the series.

Sorry to get on the soap box there. I just don't understand when people say they can't watch something because its too sad or depressing. Real life is like that sometimes. If you can't deal with it on TV, how can you deal with it in real life?
"I think that guy Littwack is building an A-bomb in the basement"