Back Forward Stop Play

Active Topics

Consider Me Gone

Post all questions and comments regarding the ALF Sitcom here.

Moderator: Administration Team

Jessica
Orbit Guard Commander

Post by Jessica »

Well, only if there's a chance to get it. And btw, I LOVE SPOILERS :P ;)
melmacian56
ALF Fan Since: Forever

Re: Consider Me Gone

Post by melmacian56 »

Wow it's been fairly quiet in the ALF community lately. I thought I'd drop by considering I havn't been here in a while.

I decided to sit down and watch the final episode the other day and something popped out to me. There's one thing about the finale that really irritates me and that is the laugh track during ALF's last set of dialogue. I know they stuck it in there to try and add some humor in such a tragic scene but it just DOESN'T work! I almost find that laugh track an insult to all ALF fans. It's almost like its there to rub in that ALF was screwed. I'm pretty sure ALF fans were not laughing at that moment....more likely throwing chairs at a wall or something of that nature haha. What's all of your thoughts on this?
"Oops, I made a boo boo".
ALFanatic
RIP 1944-2010, Former Asst. Admin

Post by ALFanatic »

melmacian56,

Unfortunately, this Forum is like all others dependent upon member participation. Things tend to get quiet when there is a dropoff in participation. HINT! HINT!

For the sake of all, "Consider Me Gone" was intended to be a "cliffhanger" ending episode for Season Four of the "ALF" TV series, as evidenced by the script "TO BE CONTINUED" whcih appeared at the end of the closing scene in the original, uncut episode. The gravity and finality of the closing scene in "Consider ME Gone" was not anticipated when episode was produced.

As for ALF's "Lakers" joke at time of his capture by "ATF" in closing scene of "Consider Me Gone", to me that is typical ALF, where you might well expect for ALF to "crack a joke" during a stressful situation.

My opinion, you are unduly upset because of what sadly becane reality, without due consideration and/or awareness that was not intended to become reality.

By the way, I was one of those ALF fans that watched "Consider Me Gone" when the episode originally aired in 1990, and I was not initally upset with the final scene, but instead just extremely anxious for the anticipated arrival of Season Five. I didn't become violent. start throwing things, or swamp NBC Corporate Offices with phone calls and telegrams until late Summer of 1990 when NBC made formal announcement that "ALF" had been cancelled.

Mike
melmacian56
ALF Fan Since: Forever

Post by melmacian56 »

Well I first seen this episode probably 5-6 years ago and though I didn't react violently I wanted too haha. When I seen this episode, the "TO BE CONTINUED" was removed from the screen and therefore that is why I have a different outlook on the ending. I'm not really upset with it these days because I can actually sit and watch the ending without weeping haha. I just find that laugh track kind of annoying. But yes Mike you are right, it was typical ALF at that moment but I just don't find it too humorous at that point and time in the episode. By the way, I have to stand by the statement I made a while ago on here. I do find the original intention of this episode to be brilliant....it just didn't work out as planned and therefore is a big negative to most fans of the series.
"Oops, I made a boo boo".
ALFIsMyIdol
Phlegm Dealer
ALF Fan Since: 1986

Post by ALFIsMyIdol »

Cliffhangers have always been the last straw indicated by the fact that many shows ended on cliffhangers. I personally didn't think that Consider me Gone was sad, just a little frustrating still I cried like a baby during 'Help me Rhonda' and 'ALF's Special Christmas' :cry: .
That ain't a vision of love, it's a yoghurt commercial !
Alflover24/7
Asteroid Polisher
ALF Fan Since: I was born

Re:

Post by Alflover24/7 »

Delorean Dude 17 wrote:its good to know i wasnt the only one who cried during that crappy ending. poor ALF! :cry: there was no to be continued in the DVD set i looked.
:cry: :cry:
He's quick I'll give him that!
Alflover24/7
Asteroid Polisher

Re: Re:

Post by Alflover24/7 »

Alflover24/7 wrote:
Admin wrote:
I take back what I said about this forum being a great place.
It sounds like it's run by a bunch of 2 year olds.
it's YOU that's childish. Delete this post or whatever you wanna do. I don't care anymore.
I'm done with this stupid board because I thought it was full of grown ups not a bunch of kids!
I think you have just crossed the line, UmbertoRobina. It is obvious that your e-mail address (hostile-youth@************.com) reflects your attitude in this instance.

This forum has a reputation of being a FRIENDLY community. Everyone here is mature enough to get along with one another, keep posts on topic, and NOT attack others. This forum has been doing so well the last year or so because of these reasons, and you are being counterproductive to the discussion of fellow ALF fans. With your posts you have attacked people, and the forum itself (which will not be tolerated) and I'm sure you have upset many members as well.

Should you change your mind and attitude feel free to contact me. Until then it is my regret to tell you that you are no longer welcome here (and believe me, nothing bothers me more than having to say that)
It shouldn't
Last edited by Alflover24/7 on Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alflover24/7
Asteroid Polisher

Re: banning

Post by Alflover24/7 »

ALFicionado wrote:It's really sad that there can be such a heated argument on an ALF board, ALF, especially about something that is written on stone for any forum members.
I believe this was the first banned member on this board? Anyway, good riddance. If rules and structure were not liked by this member, the ban was the right thing to do.
Yup
stevieray89
Apprentice Lint Brush
ALF Fan Since: 2008

Post by stevieray89 »

I don't think the cast even wanted to come back for a 5th and final season, considering how long it took to tape one episode. Said Andrea Elson: "If it had gone one more year, I'm sure we would've all lost it." And then Anne said "There was one take and Max walked off the set, went to his dressing room, got his bags, went to his car and disappeared... There were no goodbyes." Did he somehow sense that they weren't coming back? Or would he have quit?
Melmac98
Cat Wrangler
ALF Fan Since: Jan or Feb 2013

Post by Melmac98 »

I hated that one more than anything!! I did not know it was meant to be a cliffhanger at first. I just thought he was doomed to be tortured and dissected off camera (I know that infamous scene from the pilot by heart). As for Project ALF, I think it's a really great movie, and I liked the ending and I like the idea of having ALF as ambassador to Earth (until he gets reunited with Skip and Rhonda, of course). And i have to say that the ending of Dinosaurs is a heck of a lot worse than the ending of ALF. To read more about that, Jessica, check out my thread under 'ALF on TV' titled 'ALF-like creatures on Dinosaurs'. Between Ninjadragon, Suburban Sensei and myself, you'll know all about how Dinosaurs ends.
"Traditions are like plates; they're made to be broken"

Land Before Time forum: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php
Balto forum: http://baltofanclub.proboards.com/
Ninjadragon5
Senior Orbit Guard
ALF Fan Since: 2002

Post by Ninjadragon5 »

so very true, the ending to dinosaurs is a lot worse because you know those characters in the show are eventually going to die. at least with the ending of ALF, it was really uncertain what was going to happen to him, although there that strong possibility of him being tortured and dissected, but then came the movie that at least gave us a sign of relief that none of that awful stuff happened. but still this a truly sad episode and i can't watch it for those reasons.
let's face it, I'm unforgettable!