Back Forward Stop Play

Active Topics

How did the puppet work?

Post all questions and comments regarding the ALF Sitcom here.

Moderator: Administration Team

ALF
Junior Orbit Guard
ALF Fan Since: 2005

Post by ALF »

Michu Meszaros's death still remains a mystery to me.

And also, the ALF puppet was operated b Paul Fusco and the crew.
melmacian56
ALF Fan Since: Forever

Post by melmacian56 »

I don't wanna go way off topic here...but I just wanna throw it out there that according to the internet, Michu Meszaros is still alive.
"Oops, I made a boo boo".
ALFanatic
RIP 1944-2010, Former Asst. Admin

Post by ALFanatic »

Although "off Topic", recent posts concerning "Michu Meszaros" possibly should be moved into new Topic initiated by Admin.

Since last film credits for "Michu Meszaros" date back to 1993, current status of the actor in question; however, "Google" search did not reveal any information noting the death of "Michu Meszaros".

Mike
Jessica
Orbit Guard Commander

Post by Jessica »

But if we can get back to ALF worked, there's something. Fusco controlled him, but with what? and how did they make ALF stand when Michu wasn't on set?
ALF
Junior Orbit Guard

Post by ALF »

Yeah, and how did they make him move his mouth, eyelids, snout, ears, and eyebrows? It seems to me that that new gorilla-ape thing at Sharper Image is just a radio controlled version of ALF (except it doesn't look as good)! :lol:
Jessica
Orbit Guard Commander

Post by Jessica »

ALF wrote:Yeah, and how did they make him move his mouth, eyelids, snout, ears, and eyebrows? It seems to me that that new gorilla-ape thing at Sharper Image is just a radio controlled version of ALF (except it doesn't look as good)! :lol:
Yeah I have wondered that too, how did they control the mouth?
Gordo
Phlegm Dealer

Post by Gordo »

The mouth is just moved by hand. The ears were anamatronic.
Jessica
Orbit Guard Commander

Post by Jessica »

The ALF worked for a few years ago. If they made new episodes, would he still work? I think so, but is he in Fusco's house now?
Admin
Forum Admin
ALF Fan Since: September 1986

Post by Admin »

I think so, but is he in Fusco's house now?
To be honest, I really don't think anyone knows...it appears to be a "minor mystery".
ALF TV | The Official Unofficial ALF Fan Site!
http://www.alftv.com
Jessica
Orbit Guard Commander

Post by Jessica »

OK, but that's what I read somewhere.^^
ALFanatic

Post by ALFanatic »

If I ever find enough time, I'll search through my ALF collection. Possible both the ALF and Ralph (stand-in) puppets could be here somewhere. HA!!!!!!!!!

Mike
Jessica
Orbit Guard Commander

Post by Jessica »

ALFanatic wrote:If I ever find enough time, I'll search through my ALF collection. Possible both the ALF and Ralph (stand-in) puppets could be here somewhere. HA!!!!!!!!!

Mike
Wow, cool :)
MR. Littwack
Cat Wrangler

Re: How did the puppet work?

Post by MR. Littwack »

I haven't been on here in quite a while. Just checked in and was hoping that maybe the infamous video had been posted. No luck yet. Oh, well. Any theories anyone? the still pics that are posted a few posts back shed a little light on the mystery. I think my original theory must be close but I still for the life of me can't figure how they made ALF appear to "walk" so fluidly in unscripted moments. From the way it looks in the pics, it would seem the 2 people operating the puppet (my guess is still that the 3rd person operated the eyes and ears via remote control) would bump into one another when moving. On top of that, there really is not a lot of room inside the puppet (at least it looks that way) how did two people even fit that way? Any ideas? Anyone?
"I think that guy Littwack is building an A-bomb in the basement"
Gordo
Phlegm Dealer

Post by Gordo »

The puppet was lifted above their heads and the set raised. The way the walking is done is that theyre sitting on a kinda slow moving platform on wheels, like in a camera tracking shot.
MR. Littwack
Cat Wrangler

Post by MR. Littwack »

That makes sense Gordo. Is that a theory? Or have you heard that confirmed? I mean it wouldn't be a problem for most shots I would think sense ALF usually stayed pretty stationary, but they did quite often have him move into the scene. A dolly or rail system would seem to make sense.
"I think that guy Littwack is building an A-bomb in the basement"
Gordo
Phlegm Dealer

Post by Gordo »

MR. Littwack wrote:That makes sense Gordo. Is that a theory? Or have you heard that confirmed? I mean it wouldn't be a problem for most shots I would think sense ALF usually stayed pretty stationary, but they did quite often have him move into the scene. A dolly or rail system would seem to make sense.
That's just the way its done in the puppetry industry, but yes the cast have confirmed the set was raised, etc. The people behind ALF did some pretty revolutionary things tho in terms of what was possible at the time
Dukeboy320
Asteroid Polisher
ALF Fan Since: 1998

Post by Dukeboy320 »

ALFS REAL NOT A PUPPET! :twisted: :!:
jennygirl1011
Apprentice Lint Brush

Post by jennygirl1011 »

Did anyone ever consder that ALF really is like a romote controlled thing. I mean yes he may be a puppet but stuff like the walking and eyelids may be controlled by a remote. I may be right I may be wrong I might even be completely wrong but no one has said this idea yet so I thought I might post it
ALFanatic

Post by ALFanatic »

Perhaps all details concerning the workings of the puppet are unknown, and have never been revealed, because the entire "puppet scenario" was a conspiracy masterminded by ALF to conceal his true identity as a "real" alien.

That's my belief, and I'm sticking to it!

Mike
ALF
Junior Orbit Guard

Post by ALF »

Ha! :lol: