Back Forward Stop Play

Active Topics

"Playing the ponies"

Post all questions and comments regarding the ALF Sitcom here.

Moderator: Administration Team

samstokes80
Senior Orbit Guard
ALF Fan Since: 1986

"Playing the ponies"

Post by samstokes80 »

I just noticed something funny for the first time. On the episode, "On the Road Again," the kids are trying to understand why they aren't going on vacation and Brian asks if Willie has lost all of their money. ALF asks if he's been "playing the ponies."

However, on the episode, "The Gambler," later in season one, he acts as if he is unfamiliar with the concept of horse racing and has Dorothy explain it in detail.

I know that's getting picky, lol :D
Ninjadragon5
Senior Orbit Guard
ALF Fan Since: 2002

Re: "Playing the ponies"

Post by Ninjadragon5 »

nice catch. yeah, I have also noticed a lot of contradictions within the series as I watch the series more closely now.
let's face it, I'm unforgettable!
samstokes80
Senior Orbit Guard

Post by samstokes80 »

Yeah, I don't worry too much about these things as I realize there are many different writers on these shows, but every once in a while something like that just jumps out.
samstokes80
Senior Orbit Guard

Kate's maiden name

Post by samstokes80 »

Another funny little catch - on "Wild Thing" when Brian is locked in the cage, the Tanners ask him what Kate's maiden name is in order to confirm that he is really Brian. However, several episodes earlier on "I've Got a New Attitude," ALF asks what Dorothy what her last name is and she answers "Halligan," which is also Kate's maiden name. So, it would be strange for the Tanners to assume that ALF didn't know the answer to this question.
samstokes80
Senior Orbit Guard

Basement flooded

Post by samstokes80 »

Another questionable moment, if anyone reading cares, lol :lol: - at the beginning of "Going out of My Head over You," Brian lies to his friend by telling him the basement is flooded and Willie responds with concern, not realizing it is a fib. It just occurred to me that it is probably very unusual for a Los Angeles home to have a basement. Growing up in the Midwest I assumed basements were standard, but when I lived in Tallahassee, I found out that almost no homes had basements because of the ground water level, being so near the coast.

Anyone lived in the L.A. area that could comment on this?
Admin
Forum Admin
ALF Fan Since: September 1986

Post by Admin »

I never noticed that before - thanks for sharing.
ALF TV | The Official Unofficial ALF Fan Site!
http://www.alftv.com
samstokes80
Senior Orbit Guard

Brian's principal

Post by samstokes80 »

Another one - Willie doesn't seem to recognize Brian's principal when she appears at the door on the episode "Weird Science," although the two spoke during the Nutrition Follies two episodes earlier. Of course, ALF had just electrocuted Willie while repairing the TV, so he might have been momentarily confused.
Ninjadragon5
Senior Orbit Guard
ALF Fan Since: 2002

Post by Ninjadragon5 »

I got one, we all know if the first episode ALF gets seen by Raquel for the first time and shes does nothing and just thinks she saw some strange animal, but in a much later episode she sees ALF in the backyard and screams bloody murder as if she seen him for the first time and thinks she as seen an alien.
let's face it, I'm unforgettable!
samstokes80
Senior Orbit Guard

Post by samstokes80 »

Actually, she does call the alien task force on the first episode, although at first she thinks it's a cross between a kangaroo and an aardvark. When she sees him in the backyard she says that she swears she's seen him before, but yes, it is strangely inconsistent that she didn't call the alien task force again, and that she is so much more distraught about it the second time.