Back Forward Stop Play

Active Topics

Are uncut episodes better?

Post all questions and comments regarding the ALF Sitcom here.

Moderator: Administration Team

ALFreak
Phlegm Dealer
ALF Fan Since: ALF landed on earth

Are uncut episodes better?

Post by ALFreak »

I was wondering if the uncut episodes are better or the same in quality as the cut?
By 'better' i mean;
*Does the story flow better?
*are there more jokes?
Oh Yeah? Well, You're a Wienier!
samstokes80
Senior Orbit Guard
ALF Fan Since: 1986

Re: Are uncut episodes better?

Post by samstokes80 »

Yes, the uncut episodes are better. They were cut simply for length in syndication so there would be room for longer commercial breaks. In some cases, the cuts were done haphazardly and actually do hurt the story. And, they definitely cut out some funny jokes.
ALFreak
Phlegm Dealer

Post by ALFreak »

I've heard that the cuts negatively affect the 'We're so sorry, Uncle Albert' episode. A couple of the episodes on my American DVD set have obvious cuts in them, too, specifically 'Come fly with me'.
Ninjadragon5
Senior Orbit Guard
ALF Fan Since: 2002

Post by Ninjadragon5 »

yes, the uncut episodes are better, the cuts in the american syndicated versions do often ruin the story and flow of the episodes because they often leave out the best part of the episode,especially in "help me rhonda" and "try to remember".
let's face it, I'm unforgettable!
ALFreak
Phlegm Dealer

Post by ALFreak »

Ninjadragon5 wrote:yes, the uncut episodes are better, the cuts in the american syndicated versions do often ruin the story and flow of the episodes because they often leave out the best part of the episode,especially in "help me rhonda" and "try to remember".
It's a shame that they cut out the scene in 'Help me Rhonda' where you got to see Skip and Rhonda in their spaceship.....That scene REALLY would've made that episode stand out, y'know?
Ninjadragon5
Senior Orbit Guard

Post by Ninjadragon5 »

ALFreak wrote:
Ninjadragon5 wrote:yes, the uncut episodes are better, the cuts in the american syndicated versions do often ruin the story and flow of the episodes because they often leave out the best part of the episode,especially in "help me rhonda" and "try to remember".
It's a shame that they cut out the scene in 'Help me Rhonda' where you got to see Skip and Rhonda in their spaceship.....That scene REALLY would've made that episode stand out, y'know?
yeah, when I saw that they cut that part out in the episode, I was furious, that is what made the episode stand out to me the most too.
Admin
Forum Admin
ALF Fan Since: September 1986

Post by Admin »

Having grew up with VHS tapes of original airings, I have a very difficult time watching the syndicated episodes. The flow is interrupted and funny scenes are left out.
ALF TV | The Official Unofficial ALF Fan Site!
http://www.alftv.com
Suburban_Sensei
Cat Wrangler
ALF Fan Since: 1991

Post by Suburban_Sensei »

Admin wrote:Having grew up with VHS tapes of original airings, I have a very difficult time watching the syndicated episodes. The flow is interrupted and funny scenes are left out.
I agree. I remember when I watched the DVD's for the first time I was waiting for certain jokes and when they weren't there or awkwardly cut short, it just left me perplexed. Also stinks that a lot of the music is changed too; I understand that's a copyright issue, but I just don't like the generic music bits in episodes on the syndicated episodes.
ALFicionado
Asst. Admin, formerly AxelFoley
ALF Fan Since: 1988 (re-born fan 2003)

Post by ALFicionado »

There's more ALF on the uncut episodes, so the answer couldn't be simpler - Yes :)
R.I.P. Mike AKA ALFanatic - You'll be missed.

Visit ALFanatic - my new fansite: http://www.alfanatic.webs.com/
D-ALF
Apprentice Lint Brush

Post by D-ALF »

I Taped them all on VHS when they were new. You will not believe how much was cut out of the syndicated Versions. The opening theme as well is different and is a cheap knock off of the original. Whats really upsetting about this is those that are see'ing ALF for the first time and think he's funny really have no idea what there missing. This syndicated BS on DVD and TV should have never happened.
Ninjadragon5
Senior Orbit Guard

Post by Ninjadragon5 »

yeah, it is really a shame, I remember some of the uncut episodes but not many. the ones I remember this most are the syndicated versions. I really like to be able to see the uncut episodes just once to see what I have missed out on.
ALFicionado
Asst. Admin, formerly AxelFoley
ALF Fan Since: 1988 (re-born fan 2003)

Post by ALFicionado »

D-ALF wrote:I Taped them all on VHS when they were new. You will not believe how much was cut out of the syndicated Versions. The opening theme as well is different and is a cheap knock off of the original. Whats really upsetting about this is those that are see'ing ALF for the first time and think he's funny really have no idea what there missing. This syndicated BS on DVD and TV should have never happened.
People with region free DVD's/Blu-rays can nowadays get European sets of ALF on DVD, which are, with a few exceptions, uncut.
R.I.P. Mike AKA ALFanatic - You'll be missed.

Visit ALFanatic - my new fansite: http://www.alfanatic.webs.com/
D-ALF
Apprentice Lint Brush

Post by D-ALF »

I could post some of the cuts I know about but Always get mad just thinking about it. My fav episode is the Halloween one where ALF comes in with a Giant zipper and Willys boss comes to the party.They cut big chunks out of this one. This episode is so cut up it's really not even worth watching on Syndication. Another one is where Alf meets Jake for the first time in the Garage. They cut out the part of him coming through the Garage door singing Billy Jean-(M-Jackson) and then doing the moonwalk and making MJ-(Whoooo-Tee Hee-sounds). Its a very funny part.. gone. The Brian birthday episode where Alf may be going home has many cuts as well including ALF back on his home planet with his pals and Rhonda-! I mean they cut Jokes, Plot lines and more. When the first DVD's came out I couldn't wait to get them. Took them home and starting screaming. Made the vendor take them back and I even brought in one of my VHS to show them. Thank the maker I taped the episodes on archival VHS. They still look flawless. I just feel bad for others.
Ninjadragon5
Senior Orbit Guard

Post by Ninjadragon5 »

yeah, another really badly cut episode that makes me mad is when alf first meets jody and the part where alf and jody sing the chipmunk song together. I thought that was a really charming part of the episode and was really sad they cut it out.
greattvtowatch
Apprentice Lint Brush
ALF Fan Since: the beginning

Post by greattvtowatch »

Let not forget about the first app. of Skip and Rick in the first season episode where Alf is dreaming he back home eating catburgers with his friends at a Melmac diner and Rick and Skip start singing "Help me Rhonda"
that whole scene, a total of 3 minutes or more is cut, yet you can still see a 5 second clip shown during the ending credits.
So people who watch this episode for the first time will be wondering hey, I don't remember that scene from this episode.