Back Forward Stop Play

Active Topics

How many watched during the original run?

Post all questions and comments regarding the ALF Sitcom here.

Moderator: Administration Team

luckythecat
Apprentice Lint Brush
ALF Fan Since: 2008

How many watched during the original run?

Post by luckythecat »

Not me, I wasn't born until a few weeks after season 3 ended in 1989 so at least I was born during the run. I think "Having My Baby" was a very fitting episode because the Tanners were expecting a child, and I was on the way too! The same thing happened on Sesame Street the following week--Maria had her baby. I have a sister who's 2 1/2 years older than me so she was starting to watch Sesame Street and my family was excited because Maria had a baby and my mom was going to have me a couple weeks later.

I mentioned this in another post; my dad and uncle were big ALF fans. In 1989 my uncle had ALF on his birthday cake.

What kind of ALF stuff did they sell in stores? I know they sold coloring books, comics, t-shirts and dolls. What else? Did they sell ALF Halloween costumes and masks? At our local costume store they have authentic rubber masks of Miss Piggy, Animal, Kermit, Gonzo, and more Muppets. But they're really expensive. And why would I buy one?

I would have watched it during the original run. If I was born 12 years later than I was.

Also, does anyone remember when ALF was a host in the 1989 Macy's Thanksgiving Parade? There's clips of it on Youtube. When the Garfield balloon went by he gave some funny commentary.
ALFicionado
Asst. Admin, formerly AxelFoley
ALF Fan Since: 1988 (re-born fan 2003)

Re: How many watched during the original run?

Post by ALFicionado »

I was born in 1985, ALF was first shown here in 1988. I watched some of it back when it was new, like every other kid. I have hardly any memory of that, though.

As for the merchandise, just check out Ebay and you'll find lots and lots of stuff that was available. Halloween costumes were definitely some of the things you could get.
R.I.P. Mike AKA ALFanatic - You'll be missed.

Visit ALFanatic - my new fansite: http://www.alfanatic.webs.com/
Admin
Forum Admin
ALF Fan Since: September 1986

Post by Admin »

I watched it every Monday night when I was a kid. My father even taped them (I can't thank him enough for that!)...my twin brother and I watched them over and over (and over) while we were growing up.
ALF TV | The Official Unofficial ALF Fan Site!
http://www.alftv.com
Jessica
Orbit Guard Commander

Post by Jessica »

I didn't watch it either. I was born in 1990, a few months after ALF was canceled. I watched it sometimes around 1993 and 1994.
ALF
Junior Orbit Guard
ALF Fan Since: 2005

Post by ALF »

Sadly, I didn't start watching until about 2005. But that's only because my parents moved to Canada in '93 out of a country where no one knew who or what ALF was. I was born in early '92, so at least I can say I was born not too long after its run.

Somewhere in 2004/05, I had this nostalgic resurgence of well, nostalgia, much helped by the then-new VH1 show called "I Love the '80s". As soon as I saw ALF, a memory popped into my head from years before. My parents had once bought one of those car window pull-down roll-shades that had images printed on them (this is also an answer to a question recently asked in another thread about ALF merchandise sold in stores at the time). One had a picture of the California Raisins, and another had a picture of cartoon ALF, along with the immortal catchphrase, "No Problem!" It's been years since I've seen either of those shades, but regardless, I went back, bought the DVDs to all four seasons sight unseen, started watching, fell in love, and joined this forum. My heart has been on Melmac ever since.
Bring Back ALF
Junior Orbit Guard
ALF Fan Since: 1986

Post by Bring Back ALF »

I just bought one of those ALF sunshades on ebay! Our daughter thinks ALF is a current tv character, think she will be in for a bit of a shock when she goes to school, poor girl!

I first watched ALF when I was 19 or 20 so im officially very old! :D
"Find out what you don't do well and don't do it!" Gordon Shumway Sept 86

www.instagram.com/bringbackalf/
https://www.facebook.com
DefLeppardVanHalen
Asteroid Polisher

Post by DefLeppardVanHalen »

I was born in March 1984, so yeah, I've watched the entire original run from 1986-1990, and in syndication from 1990-1994.
Jessica
Orbit Guard Commander

Post by Jessica »

Cool.^^
Jessica
Orbit Guard Commander

Post by Jessica »

Also, welcome to the forum!
Admin
Forum Admin
ALF Fan Since: September 1986

Post by Admin »

I was born in March 1984, so yeah, I've watched the entire original run from 1986-1990, and in syndication from 1990-1994.
I'm six days older than you... :D
ALF TV | The Official Unofficial ALF Fan Site!
http://www.alftv.com
tazz765
Apprentice Lint Brush

Post by tazz765 »

I was born in 1987 and according to my mom loved watching Alf which is proven by the fact that my first birthday cake was an Alf cake. I also found photos of me getting an Alf poster and one of those fuzzy Alf dolls (darn I wish I still had those). I'm sure I probably watched for some years in syndication as well, but I eventually forgot about the show. Some years back I found the photos I mentioned and it renewed my interest in Alf. I wondered if the show would still be enjoyable after all these years. So when TV Land had the mini marathon of episodes while promoting Alf's Talk Show I tuned in. Turns out they were even better because I could actually understand all the dialogue and jokes. I searched the internet and discovered that Season 1 was on DVD so I purchased it and four seasons and one movie later I still love the little guy.
luckythecat
Apprentice Lint Brush

Post by luckythecat »

I hate to burst your bubble Taz but if you have the American dvd sets, what you got is the edited syndicated episodes. I have the uncut 1,2,3 sets that were released overseas and Season 4 comes out Friday. I'm not referring to you but I hate how some people think that's acceptable. Go to a baseball game and only stay for 6 innings. Or get a sno-cone with no flavor in it. Or put up a Christmas tree with no lights or ornaments. If there were no plans to ever release them uncut anywhere then maybe I'd buy the American sets.
tazz765
Apprentice Lint Brush

Post by tazz765 »

I'm aware that the sets are the syndicated versions, but its the best I have at the moment. If someone wants to send me a region free dvd player and the money to purchase all the sets again I will gladly upgrade what I have, until then I have to make do with the Region 1 sets.
Last edited by tazz765 on Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DefLeppardVanHalen
Asteroid Polisher

Post by DefLeppardVanHalen »

tazz765 wrote:I aware that the sets are the syndicated versions, but its the best I have at the moment. If someone wants to send me a region free dvd player and the money to purchase all the sets again I gladly upgrade what I have until then I have make do with the Region 1 sets.
I agree on that notion as well.
luckythecat
Apprentice Lint Brush

Post by luckythecat »

I got a region free dvd player for under 40 dollars from Bombay Electronics. And it was free shipping as well. Because I purchased something over 30 dollars I think. No I didn't order it from Bombay India, lolz. I wish they would sell them in electronic stores but nooooooooo. I also wish somebody would put the unedited dvd sets on American Amazon/ebay. When I got season 1 off German Ebay I was too stupid to look for a set that was 20 Euro with +3 Euro shipping because that would've only been about 25 American dollars. It cost me 70 something because this person charged 16 Euro for shipping. But hey at least I got it and I have 75% of the whole series.

BTW I got season 2 and 3 for much lower prices. Season 2 only cost me about 25 dollars.
Jessica
Orbit Guard Commander

Post by Jessica »

Must have been cool seeing it when it was all new.^^ I am really happy to be an ALF fan! :D
ALFicionado
Asst. Admin, formerly AxelFoley
ALF Fan Since: 1988 (re-born fan 2003)

Post by ALFicionado »

luckythecat wrote:I hate to burst your bubble Taz but if you have the American dvd sets, what you got is the edited syndicated episodes. I have the uncut 1,2,3 sets that were released overseas and Season 4 comes out Friday. I'm not referring to you but I hate how some people think that's acceptable. Go to a baseball game and only stay for 6 innings. Or get a sno-cone with no flavor in it. Or put up a Christmas tree with no lights or ornaments. If there were no plans to ever release them uncut anywhere then maybe I'd buy the American sets.
I think we all are aware of the fact that the US versions are syndicated. I managed fine with them until the German releases started happening, still only have season 1 uncut at the moment and will look forward to getting the rest of the seasons as well.
R.I.P. Mike AKA ALFanatic - You'll be missed.

Visit ALFanatic - my new fansite: http://www.alfanatic.webs.com/
luckythecat
Apprentice Lint Brush

Post by luckythecat »

We're getting a tad off topic on here but the only gripe I have about the uncut sets is the lack of special features and that the picture quality isn't as good as the syndicated sets as the picture seems slightly choppier and slower. I think it's my dvd player because playing it on my computer it has more of that smoother videotape quality. But hey at least I have 3/4 of the series uncut and season 4 is being released today. I'm off to German Ebay to see if it's being sold for a good price but I'm waiting a few weeks to buy it. I have season 4 but it's syndicated so I guess you could say I have every episode.
ALFsince86
RIP, 1974-2011

Post by ALFsince86 »

I was 12-years-old in 1986 and ALF was right up my alley. I got in on the Marvel comics, the Topps trading cards, and the cartoon spin-offs. I was also thrilled when the ALF Christmas Special (1987) hit #7 for the week in primetime. Prior to that ALF had mostly been in the Top 20.
unruhe
Apprentice Lint Brush

Post by unruhe »

wow!! it's nice to see a lot of people got to hook with alf when it was already finished airing!! I was born in 1982 so I remember even watching the pilot episode, that was aired here in argentina one or two years after 1986, me being 5 or 6 years old. I even remember commenting in school the cockroach episode with my friends!! they were the ones who told me it was just two sticks :oops: