Back Forward Stop Play

Active Topics

The CORRECT number of ALF episodes

Post all questions and comments regarding the ALF Sitcom here.

Moderator: Administration Team

Admin
Forum Admin
ALF Fan Since: September 1986

The CORRECT number of ALF episodes

Post by Admin »

It has long been accepted that there are 102 episodes in the ALF sitcom; however, due to recent research I intend to go against the norm with my new episode guide. Two-parters have always been a tricky subject...are they ONE or TWO episodes?!? The "two-parters" in ALF include:

-Try to Remember
-ALF's Special Christmas
-Someone to Watch Over Me
-Tonight, Tonight
-Turkey in the Straw

I propose that there are only 98 or 99 ALF episodes, NOT 102 as usually stated.

-Try to Remember - ONE production number (1023), both "parts" aired on the same night (February 9, 1987)
-ALF's Special Christmas - ONE production number (2040), both "parts" aired on the same night (December 14, 1987)
-Someone to Watch Over Me - TWO DIFFERENT production numbers (2019 and 2020), aired on separate nights (February 8/15, 1988)
-Tonight, Tonight - ONE production number (3006), both "parts" aired on the same night (October 24, 1988)
-Turkey in the Straw - ONE production number (3008), both "parts" aired on back to back nights (November 14/15, 1988)

If you look at the above, ONE production number means ONE episode. For example, the episode "Try to Remember" was aired on the same night...it is a ONE HOUR single episode, not two 30-minute episodes. Same applies to "ALF's Special Christmas," "Tonight, Tonight," and "Turkey in the Straw" (though this one was aired on back to back nights, it has ONE production number, not two).

The episode "Someone to Watch Over Me" appears to be the ONLY one that is TWO episodes (because it has two separate production numbers), the rest just being "one hour" ALF episodes. The ALF DVD sets also support this, "Someone to Watch Over Me" is one of two of the above that has two separate episodes on the DVD (Turkey in the Straw being the other, because it was aired on separate nights); you will also notice that the ALF DVD sets are in production number order, not airing order. Additionally, my press kit has the synopsis for each ALF episode (official Warner Bros. and Paul Fusco approved issued material here) also has the same info.

Thus, I propose an amendment to the norm that there are only 98 or 99 ALF episodes, NOT 102. Evidence would seem to support my position, but wanted to know what the rest of you think.

Argument for 99 episodes: The released DVD sets have Turkey in the Straw and Someone to Watch Over Me as TWO episodes each. So the total number of episodes on the DVD sets comes to a total of 99 (remember, two episodes are repeated on the seasons 3 and 4 DVD sets, otherwise you get 101 episodes).
Argument for 98 episodes: Even though "Turkey in the Straw" is TWO episodes on the DVD set, it has ONE production number. The only issue is that it was aired on separate nights.

Any thoughts? I figured this would make an excellent discussion topic! I might actually have to ask Paul Fusco on this one...this NEEDS to be resolved! I'm leaning heavily towards 99 (since that's the number the official DVD releases have).
ALF TV | The Official Unofficial ALF Fan Site!
http://www.alftv.com
melmacian56
ALF Fan Since: Forever

Re: The CORRECT number of ALF episodes

Post by melmacian56 »

I disagree with you Jeremiah,

I feel that 2 parts means 2 seperate episodes. Each part filled a 30 min. time slot correct? In my eyes that makes each part a seperate episode.
"Oops, I made a boo boo".
melmacian56

Post by melmacian56 »

And to add on to my previous post. I watched ALF in syndication on the Family Channel. All of the 2 parters that aired as one in the original airings were seperated in syndication. They added in the "To Be Continued.." and had the closing credits. I stand behind the side that there are 102 episodes of the ALF sitcom.
Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Admin »

So, 102 SYNDICATED episodes, right? I agree with you on that one, that in syndication there are 102 episodes (since they were broken up to be aired on different days/weeks).

I think we'll have to look into the original airings...it is subjective to interpretation, did they occupy TWO 30-minute slots, or ONE 60-minute slot. To my knowledge, the episodes that aired for one hour did NOT have "to be continued" or "last time on ALF," so they were NOT broken into "parts" and need to be considered one episode. That may be something we need to look into further...

I also noticed that Hulu.com lists 99 episodes (so that's how many episodes those in "the biz" feel there are).

Could it be possible that there are 99 original aired episodes (in my eyes - ONE production number, aired in ONE 60-minute time slot on ONE night must be ONE episode, my opinion though), but 102 episodes in the syndicated series (the episodes on TV after the original airings) - if some of the 60-minute episodes were broken up to fit into two 30-minute time slots?

This is a fun topic!
Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Admin »

Additionally, my Warner Bros. synopsis/episode guide (released after the original airings when the show went into syndication) breaks the episode productions numbers up.

Example: "Try to Remember" becomes 1023A and 1023B in syndication (instead of just 1023), because they had to turn it into TWO episodes, and give it TWO production numbers.

Which also seems to make me feel there are a different number of episodes in the original airings (99) vs. syndication (102)...so I edit my position a little bit, not sure if anyone would agree with me or not.
melmacian56

Post by melmacian56 »

Well 60 minute shows usually are 45 mins. without commercials. I thought ALF episodes were around 26-27 minutes without the commercials during original airings. So that would make two 30 minute time slot episodes around 54 mins. without commercials. I don`t know if you see what Im getting at there but I still believe in 102 episodes lol. I was always grateful that ALF was able to make the 100 episode milestone.

Also I have to ask, when episodes like "Try To Remember" originally aired did it say "To Be Continued..." at the end of the first part?
Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Admin »

I watched my original airings for years (before the DVDs came out). As I recall:

Try to Remember - NO "to be continued" (but I'm going to double check this one)
Turkey in the Straw - YES, to be continued (which would make sense because it was aired on back to back days)
Someone to Watch Over Me - YES, to be continued (but that one has two different production numbers anyways)
ALF's Christmas Special - NO "to be continued"
Tonight, Tonight - NO "to be continued"

I just need to dig out my tapes to be 100% about "Try to Remember" - as you mention it is important to make sure whether or not it had "to be continued" midway through. I also want to recheck "Tonight, Tonight" as it has been several years since I've watched my original tapes with those episodes.

Next step: find my VHS tapes, lol
melmacian56

Post by melmacian56 »

I also have to mention that I just checked TV.com's Episode Guide for ALF and it lists 102 episodes.
Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Admin »

I completely agree that there are 102 syndicated 30-minute time slot episodes, and pretty much every episode guide online is going to give 102 episodes - we're now discussing whether or not there are 99 ORIGINAL episodes, right? (prior to syndication)

I'll see if I can post some pictures of my synopsis guide - some production numbers are split up into "A" and "B" when the series went into syndication, which would indicate (from my point of view anyways) that they were later split into episodes (AFTER they originally aired); hence, creating additional episodes and giving us our final number of 102.

Even Hulu.com has "Try to Remember" as a single episode (split into two parts for syndication on TV though). Hulu.com has 99 episodes, and TV.com (in their episode guide) has links to 99 ALF episodes.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/24051/alf-try-to-remember

:)
melmacian56

Post by melmacian56 »

Well I can settle with you that there are 99 ORIGINAL episodes and 102 syndicated episodes. Those episodes that aired in one production code should be called "One Hour Specials" then, right? Your evidence is very logical....But the episode guide I go by is 102 because it is what I grew up through.
Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Admin »

But the episode guide I go by is 102 because it is what I grew up through.
Same one that I go by too...I'm just trying to complicate the "pre-syndication saga." I'm good at those kinds of things... :)

I wonder how it was advertised in the late 80s when ALF was going to be on for a whole hour? That's something Mike would know the answer too...wonder who else here at the forum was "grown up" at that point in time? I was just a youngin...
ALFicionado
Asst. Admin, formerly AxelFoley
ALF Fan Since: 1988 (re-born fan 2003)

Post by ALFicionado »

Aww shucks, I was always happy that ALF broke the 100-episode mark. Now that's kind of ruined if Jeremiah is correct on this one :cry:

Find the tapes and let us know about Try to Remember :)
R.I.P. Mike AKA ALFanatic - You'll be missed.

Visit ALFanatic - my new fansite: http://www.alfanatic.webs.com/
Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Admin »

This is all just my opinion though (some may definitely disagree with me). It can't seem to be argued that there were indeed 102 episodes AFTER the original airings.
melmacian56

Post by melmacian56 »

I understand what you are doing and it is making for an interesting topic. You have had me making more posts in a day then I have in like a year :P This is a very interesting debate. This all really comes down to what you believe in. Either way we are not robbing ALF of his 100 episode Achievement. I am very glad the show was able to surpass the mark. 102 episodes in 4 seasons is a lot when you think about it especially with the suffering they went through filming all of these episodes with all the different takes. A lot of shows today only reach 80 some episodes max in 4 seasons.
Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Admin »

I am very glad the show was able to surpass the mark. 102 episodes in 4 seasons is a lot when you think about it
You mean 99 episodes? lol, JUST JOKING!!! I'm going to shut up now...(before I become hated)

:lol:
Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Admin »

I just won (on eBay) an auction for an NBC promo ad that states there are 101 episodes...lol.
Iggy
Phlegm Dealer

Post by Iggy »

I would also vote on the 99 episode option as only "Someone to watch..." and "Turkey..." were broadcasted here as a double episode.

But I think we can all agree that either 99 or 102 episodes, there was still too few of them.
On the 82nd day of Christmas my true love gave to me 81 cats a-Broiling, 80 cats a-Baking,
79 cats a-Toasting, 78 cats a-Boiling, 77 cats a-Sizzling, 76 cats a-Poaching...
Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Admin »

I'm in total agreement. I also know how they came up with the 101 episodes (took some thinking too). I'm sure you all know that I bought a press kit a while back (it's an ALF spaceship/plush with official synopsis, cast biographies, show biography, glossy photos, and stuff like that). In the synopsis, the only episode NOT included is ALF's Special Christmas, which would give us the total of 101. When I created my episode guide, I actually had to find and buy the December 12-18 1987 TV Guide (John Ritter on the cover) and get the synopsis that way.

Why the Christmas special is not included I have NO clue...any ideas?
Alfina
Apprentice Lint Brush
ALF Fan Since: 1990

Post by Alfina »

Maybe they "stretched" out the episdoes so they could reach the 100+ mark for syndication purposes, although there are exceptions ( tv shows with fewer episodes that have been syndicated).
melmacian56

Post by melmacian56 »

Alfina wrote:Maybe they "stretched" out the episdoes so they could reach the 100+ mark for syndication purposes, although there are exceptions ( tv shows with fewer episodes that have been syndicated).
That's actually a pretty good theory.