Back Forward Stop Play

Active Topics

The CORRECT number of ALF episodes

Post all questions and comments regarding the ALF Sitcom here.

Moderator: Administration Team

ALFicionado
Asst. Admin, formerly AxelFoley
ALF Fan Since: 1988 (re-born fan 2003)

Re: The CORRECT number of ALF episodes

Post by ALFicionado »

Alfina wrote:Maybe they "stretched" out the episdoes so they could reach the 100+ mark for syndication purposes, although there are exceptions ( tv shows with fewer episodes that have been syndicated).
That's what I've been thinking all along. I see no other reason why they'd do such a thing.
R.I.P. Mike AKA ALFanatic - You'll be missed.

Visit ALFanatic - my new fansite: http://www.alfanatic.webs.com/
samstokes80
Senior Orbit Guard
ALF Fan Since: 1986

Post by samstokes80 »

Yes, in syndication they break three hour-long specials into two episodes, so it becomes 102.
I would advocate for 99 being the "true" number from the original airing, since the three below were original aired in the hour-long format (and are better that way, since the "to be continued..." is a bit contrived in them - particularly in "Tonight Tonight" when they freeze frame and have ALF do a voice-over). The other two-parters were originally aired as two-parters so I would consider them to be two legitimately separate episodes. Why "Turkey in the Straw" has a single production number, I do not know, unless they originally intended it as an hour long special and changed their minds (or were forced to change it) at the last minute.

Season 1- 26 episodes ("Try to Remember" was originally aired as an hour-long episode)
Season 2- 26 episodes ("ALF's Christmas Special" was originally aired as an hour-long special)
Season 3- 26 episodes ("Tonight, Tonight" was originally aired as an hour-long special)
Season 4- 24 episodes
samstokes80
Senior Orbit Guard

Post by samstokes80 »

Btw, I would imagine that the main reason for doing this would be simply to make them fit into a thirty-minute time slot, and not necessarily to stretch the number of episodes out.

Other shows, such as Star Trek (TNG, DS9, Voyager) have split two-hour special episodes into two one-hour episodes on their subsequent airings.
ALFIsMyIdol
Phlegm Dealer

Post by ALFIsMyIdol »

On my taped ALF episodes (not syndication) all of the two-parters were two episodes except for "ALF's Special Christmas' that one was one 60 minutes long episode.
That ain't a vision of love, it's a yoghurt commercial !
Alflover24/7
Asteroid Polisher
ALF Fan Since: I was born

Post by Alflover24/7 »

99 for sure!
He's quick I'll give him that!